History IA Topic Suggestions!

username09

Can anyone recommend me a good topic? I really want to focus on a major international crisis, like the current Israeli crisis where the UN plays a large role. However, I can't do the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Suez Crisis the Iranian Hostage Crisis(basically anything in the Cold War topic) because people are already doing them.

I don't know if you will be able to do a topic like the one you are suggesting, because it is still happening. You can discuss the history of the problem, but you must only focus on that. For more ideas, why don't you visit the UN website? I'm sure you can find there lots of issues where the UN has interfered.

If you want to do a war in Israel, you have plenty to choose from.

1948- War of Independence
1956- Suez Campaign
1967- 6 Day War
1973- Yom Kippur War
1982- The First Lebanon War
1987-1993- The First Intifada

All the other wars are too recent for you to discuss, since there is the 10 year cut-off point.

If you want something with the UN, you could concentrate on Jerusalem and it's original designation as an international city before the 1967 war. It was supposed to be placed under UN control. Or you could discuss the UN partition plan of 1949 as a whole, which included the Jerusalem plan as well as others.

If you're going to do the Cold War, pick an event that isn't overdone. Which means don't do the Berlin blockade, the Suez crisis, the Cuban Missile crisis, and all the famous events. Examiners have marked IA's on them so many times that it's really easy for them to take marks off. My sister is currently doing her IA on the Cold War, but she's concentrating on the rise to power of Angola's communist party, and to what extent Cuba was responsible for that. Cold War events in Third World countries are interesting and not done very often; the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, various crises in Latin American countries like Nicaragua and Guatemala.

Edited by Vvi