3 or 4 HL?

BGfive

I don't know if I should take 3 or 4hls. I want to study business/economics in the US (Ivies, MIT, Stanford...). I currently have
Slovene A HL
English B HL
Math SL (technically I'm on hl but I'll switch)
Economics HL
Bio SL
I'm considering taking French at hl. It's not that hard to me and apparently there isn't much of a difference between sl and hl. I'd prefer to have 3 hl and less work but I think it might look a bit weak if I have my native language as an hl. Do you think I should take French at hl? Would it increase my chances of admission?

Hey! I would say if you want to major in economics, it would make you more competitive if you had Maths HL. Is that an option for you?

If not, although in general it's not advised to have 4 HL subjects, I personally think that your combination of subjects is not that hard, for example English B if you're fluent in English doesn't require almost any studying. With that being said, I've started this year with 4 HLs (Biology, Chemistry, Geography and English B), but decided to drop Geography to SL after the first term because I made my mind on what I want to study in the future and decided that it won't be really useful at HL.

Does your school offer Business and Management? It could be a good idea to take it if you finally choose business at university.

Please do not take 4 HL. You should focus on getting a good overall grade. I have many friends who thought it would be a good thing to take four HL, and they regret it so bad. For instance, I have a friend who was 100% sure she wanted to study medicine once she graduated, so she signed up for Bio HL, Chemistry HL, English A HL and Spanish HL. And now she wants to study international affairs after graduating. My point is, they make us choose with such a young age, that we dont really know what we want to be when we grow up. If this is your first IB year, I completely advise you to not hurry the process. Choose areas that you like, and not based on the career you want to pursue after you graduate. I mean, if you always wanted to study business/economics go for it, but not four HL.  

• Like 1