Versus AP Calc AB

heartworthy

I've been waiting for someone to ask this. The simple answer is HELL NO. The more complicated answer is:

IB math is nowhere near as thorough as AP calc. Not even HL math kids could pull a decent grade on the AP calc AB test. There are a TON of things you dont even touch on in IB math and the ones you do cover you cover badly and rushed. I took AP calc on tenth grade and got a 5. I took IB math on 11th and got a 7. Trust me when I tell you that you won't be even close to prepared if you do that. Now, I'm not saying you shouldnt take the AP test! As a matter of fact, taking the AP calc test and passing is one of the most attractive things you could put on a college application. You will, however, have to start from zero if you plan to take the AP test (if you could, I suggest taking both IB and AP because all the 10 people in my school who are doing that are not only guaranteed 7s on teh IB test but they laugh at their IB friends for how little they grasp the concepts). AND the same teacher taught both courses last year. This teacher was voted the number one calculus teacher of the year on a national level for having the most passing calculus BC students EVER. So the only variable in the whole issue is the class:

IB math SL/HL is good for Europe and liberal arts colleges.
AP calculus AB/BC is great for anywhere especially math/science/engineering colleges.
Both makes you look good too. :wtf:

Hope it helped.

[quote name='ezex' post='36445' date='Feb 11 2009, 05:42 PM']I took AP calc on tenth grade and got a 5. I took IB math on 11th and got a 7.[/quote]
That doesn't really say much. SL math is ridiculously easy. In fact, most SL math and sciences are; I'd be willing to bet at least half the SL class (grade 11) received 7s last year.

From a discussion that I gathered last year (on a forum, so may not have been exactly reliable), the "hard" AP questions weren't hard at all. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it was AB or BC so that may have made the difference.