Help in choosing one of the following?

Master Oz

Greetings.

I am new around but I have been checking around the forum here and there. I am in IB1 and a week back we had a workshop regarding extended essays so I got my head into thinking of topics and subject areas in my spare time (we all know the stresses and workload dumped on us by IB :P )

Anyways, well as the title of this thread suggests, I need your help an opinions on choosing one of the topics suggested below.

1. The impact of Runescape,the most popular MMORPG in 2008, on teenagers.
2. What are the safety concerns of teenagers regarding the popular social networking site, Facebook.
3. The impact of music piracy on the music industry/economy. <--Broad I know.
[color="#0000FF"]4. The issues regarding P2P and how it violates the terms of copyright[/color]<-- I know, the wording of the topic title stinks! But I will upadte it once I have a good idea about them :P
[color="#0000FF"]5. The impact gaming consoles (XBox, Playstation etc) have on teenagers[/color]
6. Is the use of ethanol beneficial to the environment and community? And can it potentially pose as an alternative fuel to use commercially.

I can't really select which topic to choose because all these random ideas came to my head so I just jotted them down. Obviously more topics can be thought of but if any one of the above can pose as an EE topic then I would gladly start on them. If all 6 fail, then I will post new ones....when I get the time again :yucky:

EDIT: Added 2 new topics. Indicated in blue. Removed two.

So please post your opinions,concerns and your help and be truthful whilst doing so. :innocent:

Thank you in advance
Master Oz. :P

Edited by Master Oz

ooooooo!
The last one! Its really easy.
Do practicals, normal write-up, with VERY extended intro and conclusion.

I did that one, and im predicted 32/36. Mine was enviroment and economy though, which is more focused.

If you have a really good chemistry teacher, it the best choice from my POV.

I honestly, to tell you the truth, as your adviser would reject all of them :P

Even with the last one, which comes in some proximity to what a real topic should look like, the topic is quiet broad and extensive to cover in mere 4,000 words. And from what I have been instructed, never try to repeat a topic or one already researched. That is an already researched topic, and as IBO states in their guidelines for Bio/Chem, they dont care for topics like "Investigation of Carbon as a allotrope".

My advice is stay away from Fuel-based EE topics, because there is nothing that examiner will be impressed with or see anything special of the essay. Your suppose to make an investigation into new horizons, and make conclusions and connections that are not thoroughly researched. Fuel has got to be one of the top researched ideas at the moment with the current economic conditions. Your Call.

And I would just like to say, predicted grades on EE fluctuate a plethora of times. Not saying you wont score great, cause from what I know of you Manhuta, your great :yucky: But just saying OZ, a thoroughly developed essay by one person dont translate to another :P

Best of Luck :P !!

Like what Biochem has said, the topic sounds too broad. May be you can narrow it down a bit.
Are you taking ITGS? Because recently I read about P2P (Peer-to-peer) and there's a lot of issue regarding it especially in terms of copyright.
May be you can put your words on it. You can talk about what happen to Napster where it was sued by court as an example.

Just a thought.

[quote]1. The impact of Runescape,the most popular MMORPG in 2008, on teenagers.
2. What are the safety concerns of teenagers regarding the popular social networking site, Facebook.
3. The impact of music piracy on the music industry/economy. <--Broad I know.
4. Impact of technology on teenagers or human relationships<--Broad, again.
5. The social affects/impacts on teenagers regarding the use of MXit.
6. Is the use of ethanol beneficial to the environment and community? And can it potentially pose as an alternative fuel to use commercially.[/quote]
For 1. for example, you could narrow it by stating what [i]kind[/i] of impact - positive or negative? - Runescape has on teenagers of a [i]specific[/i] group, e.g. rich, poor, male, female, fit, not-so-fit, Asian, Caucasian, etc etc.

You could narrow down the other topics in the same manner (but better, as I gave crappy examples) then pick the one that you like best. Right now the topics are wayyyyy too broad but you already knew that. :P

Avrilla is on to something, now THAT is a very interesting topic. Its fresh, and never done before, and quiet frankly I think copyright themed essays will do great with examiners :rofl:

What about terraforming. look it up. I mentioned it a good topic for tok, but I am pretty sure it can be narrowed down to something in ITGS terms. Many scholars, philosophers and authors are presenting their theories + opinions right now. I went to Barnes and nobles (American book store monopoly), and saw a plethora of items...

[quote name='biochem' post='36082' date='Feb 8 2009, 09:58 PM']I honestly, to tell you the truth, as your adviser would reject all of them :(

Even with the last one, which comes in some proximity to what a real topic should look like, the topic is quiet broad and extensive to cover in mere 4,000 words. And from what I have been instructed, never try to repeat a topic or one already researched. That is an already researched topic, and as IBO states in their guidelines for Bio/Chem, they dont care for topics like "Investigation of Carbon as a allotrope".

My advice is stay away from Fuel-based EE topics, because there is nothing that examiner will be impressed with or see anything special of the essay. Your suppose to make an investigation into new horizons, and make conclusions and connections that are not thoroughly researched. Fuel has got to be one of the top researched ideas at the moment with the current economic conditions. Your Call.

And I would just like to say, predicted grades on EE fluctuate a plethora of times. Not saying you wont score great, cause from what I know of you Manhuta, your great :) But just saying OZ, a thoroughly developed essay by one person dont translate to another ;)

Best of Luck :) !![/quote]

Lol I figured that all my topics were not that good, but I am using them as a start/build up to a EE topic that I can write on. But I would like thank you for being truthful towards my thread as this is very helpful :) .

[quote name='avrila' post='36105' date='Feb 9 2009, 01:13 AM']Like what Biochem has said, the topic sounds too broad. May be you can narrow it down a bit.
Are you taking ITGS? Because recently I read about P2P (Peer-to-peer) and there's a lot of issue regarding it especially in terms of copyright.
May be you can put your words on it. You can talk about what happen to Napster where it was sued by court as an example.

Just a thought.[/quote]

Whoa I just posted a exact same topic about this a few seconds ago. Good to hear that one of the six topics poses as a sutiable and good topic to be researched upon. Tyvm ^_^
[quote name='biochem' post='36152' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:01 AM']Avrilla is on to something, now THAT is a very interesting topic. Its fresh, and never done before, and quiet frankly I think copyright themed essays will do great with examiners :)

What about terraforming. look it up. I mentioned it a good topic for tok, but I am pretty sure it can be narrowed down to something in ITGS terms. Many scholars, philosophers and authors are presenting their theories + opinions right now. I went to Barnes and nobles (American book store monopoly), and saw a plethora of items...[/quote]

Well haven't really researched about it, but will give it a shot. Thank you.

EDIT: First post edited with two new topics.

Thank you for all your replies, it is really very much appreciated. :rofl:
Master Oz. :)