Key to getting a 7 in English A1?

I am sorry to say but, I don't what the big fuss is over 7 in English. It is as feasible as a 7 in chemistry.

My advice: get to a point where u are getting 12's on SAT writing. I have this down, its the multiple choice I struggle with sometimes. Which just means I might suffer a 4 instead of 5 on AP English. As for writing, I have a very distinguished writing style, and I tend to make these connections that are no one else thinks of. For example, on a sample AP writing I wrote about humans being a bioluminescent fungi who purposely harvest their own light in order to overwhelm the pool of darkness that surrounds them, in a forest (universe) with intangible depth. So making these uncanny connections, and using ludicrous metaphors to convey a never before encountered idea, is a plus when it comes to writing.

Memorize all the literary terms, like from here:

http://www.bedfordstmartins.com/literature.../glossary_a.htm

And Orals must be practiced to the bone. You Must score high on these to get a 7. there is a guide I wrote somewhere on the language a1, on several topics asking for advice. check it out if you'd like.

oh lol. I am predicted a 7. that's the only reason I felt compelled to say something.

Edited by biochem

The reason a 7 in English A1 is so hard to achieve is because there are so many people taking it. And as only so many can get the top mark, this creates harsh competition. It is plausible that many get 7s as predicteds, but at the end only a fraction of those actually get that grade.

The reason a 7 in English A1 is so hard to achieve is because there are so many people taking it. And as only so many can get the top mark, this creates harsh competition. It is plausible that many get 7s as predicteds, but at the end only a fraction of those actually get that grade.

If IB grades do indeed follow a standard normal distribution (clarification on this? just what I heard), then the number of candidates who are taking a specific exam will have no effect on the percentage of candidates who achieve a level 7.

I just think it's a damn hard course.

If IB grades do indeed follow a standard normal distribution (clarification on this? just what I heard), then the number of candidates who are taking a specific exam will have no effect on the percentage of candidates who achieve a level 7.

I just think it's a damn hard course.

Nearly all grades have a bell jar i.e. normal distribution, and IB grades are no different.

Nearly all grades have a bell jar i.e. normal distribution, and IB grades are no different.

I know this is slightly off topic but how would grade inflation such like that of A-levels occur? It would be impossible for more candidates to achieve As as the grade boundaries would just be raised if candidates fared better on exams. Unless the grades aren't bell curved? Just curious. :dunno:

I know this is slightly off topic but how would grade inflation such like that of A-levels occur? It would be impossible for more candidates to achieve As as the grade boundaries would just be raised if candidates fared better on exams. Unless the grades aren't bell curved? Just curious. :dunno:

Exams are still bell curved, the A-Levels are getting easier. The grade boundaries are fixed for all subjects, annnnnnd just because a disproportionately high sample of people on online forums are getting higher grades doesn't mean that it's representative of the population.

As far as I know, the grade boundaries for A-Levels are fixed, no fluctuations and probably more than 80% to get an A in all subjects.

Exams are still bell curved, the A-Levels are getting easier. The grade boundaries are fixed for all subjects, annnnnnd just because a disproportionately high sample of people on online forums are getting higher grades doesn't mean that it's representative of the population.

As far as I know, the grade boundaries for A-Levels are fixed, no fluctuations and probably more than 80% to get an A in all subjects.

Oh, I know that. The number of people getting 40-45 predicted points on this forum is ridiculous. :dunno: I didn't know that the grade boundaries were fixed though. That makes sense now. :D

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the 7 in English for me came really easily. After having really good intensive English teachers for 4 years, I barely do any work outside of class for the marks. Generally, we sit around discussing TOK topics as they relate to books, and we're pointed out at random to do commentaries during class.

Oh, and my school of about 100 IB students has 3 40+ marks this year, I just happen to be the only one from my school who visits the IB forums here.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but the 7 in English for me came really easily. After having really good intensive English teachers for 4 years, I barely do any work outside of class for the marks. Generally, we sit around discussing TOK topics as they relate to books, and we're pointed out at random to do commentaries during class.

Oh, and my school of about 100 IB students has 3 40+ marks this year, I just happen to be the only one from my school who visits the IB forums here.

I can barely write an essay that makes sense. I may have the ability to comprehend and analyze stuff but when it comes to expressing my viewpoints, I just cannot do it.

That's good for you. I've always had terrible teachers.. Anything I learned I had to learn by myself - I'm predicted a 6.

I can barely write an essay that makes sense. I may have the ability to comprehend and analyze stuff but when it comes to expressing my viewpoints, I just cannot do it.

Do you make outlines before you write?

Try making very detailed outlines and really organizing your essay before you start writing. When you're finished, wait a couple of days and read it out loud - you should notice anything that makes no sense.

Ah, maybe that's why. Even now, I'd say the teachers don't really care. (Mr. Shiver can support this!) We haven't had any 'real' English classes at all so far apart from listening to some sample IOC tapes. This week, for example, we'll be participating in International Development Week or something - that's not English!!

As for your other point, I'm not sure many people actually practice Eng outside of class (imagine writing essays for fun :dunno: ). I guess you've either got it or you don't (for a level 7 in HL).

Irene I highly doubt that the 7 scores are self-made to the point of not doing anything. We have a girl who got a perfect score on her SAT reading sections, and this doesn't translate to IBO standards. she writes mediocre essays, I would say fall into a range of 5 maybe 6.

You absolutely must practice. but much like people say and have done so here, there is a certain pre-qualification needed as far as analysis and writing.

but I could be wrong. I just dont see how anyone who says they do nothing in english, can completely score at perfection level without the aid of a teacher. Why are you in Ib then :) ? Go teach as a professor for English for extra money.. lol.

ROFL! I love the sarcasm, hehe. =P

I think English A1 is pretty easy though for English-native-speakers. But yeah, just be able to support your thesis and know literary terms with vocabulary. :)

For sure! I myself am doing ib in Canada- but my mother tongue is norwegian - and i find it particularly hard because everyone around me are native speakers, and i am not. Which sucks, since i'm considered a native speaker since i've been here for 4 months...

Anyways: ask your teacher, and PRACTICE WRITING ESSAYS!

I cannot stress this enough. READ YOUR SYLLABUS! It tells you everything they want you to do for all of your assessments. Treat it like your best friend because, hey, being the IB, it's probably the only one you will have left at the end.

And the wide reading tips are GOOD. Try old books or high vocab. I don't mean go out and grab Once and Future King (although that is pretty darn fine). Find a genre you like and choose erudite novels. Here are some friends-

Romance: Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer

Action/Fantasy: LOTR, Tim Powers. James P. Blaylock

Mystery: Sherlock Holmes.... others....

If you already have a pile of reading, try watching good Shakespeare's like R&J Baz Luhrman style and Much Ado About Nothing with Emma Thompson and Denzel Washington (and a whole heap of other people)

Go on to freerice.com when you are bored and learn a new word a day.

But mostly... read your syllabus.