Key to getting a 7 in English A1?

To be honest, I don't know that really either. We wrote exams so far, but in every exam we wrote, she gave us an extract of the books we have read and we should have analyzed ite extracts then.

Sometimes the extracts are given in single forms, sometimes, she gave us two or more and we had to compare these then.

I think though that the final exam is similar, isn't it?

Correct me if I am wrong please.

If you're sitting A1 English you'll do two papers, Paper 1 which is an unseen commentary. For SL you have 1.5 hours, for HL you have 2. You have the option of doing either a poem or an extract from a larger text, neither of which it's likely you'll have ever seen before. Then you just analyse them as much as you possibly can until time runs out!

For Paper 2, it depends on what you've studied, but it'll be the 2/4 examination texts you've read in lessons. You'll have a choice of a couple of different questions on them (you don't get the texts in the exam with you, so have to memorise some quotes etc.) or some generalised questions. So like if you did 2/4 plays, you could pick from the specific Drama-based questions or do one of the general questions.

So yeah, it's kinda similar except for that you'll never compare in the commentary (although you will in Paper 2 be comparing all the texts you studied for that paper) and of course in the unseen commentary, it's all unseen (go figure :D). So yes, you should have all the skills there with what you've done :D

I don't know, I just changed into HL english because Math is just horrifying. I'm getting Bs in SL, DO you guys think I'll last HL?

Olddddddd post but if I had the choice of Eng A1 HL or Maths HL, I'd pick Maths. Like previously stated, a 7 in English won't come from sheer hard work - raw talent must also be present and the only way I see it is to accumulate this gradually through love of reading or the language. I suppose some 'talent' is also needed for maths but it's a much easier subject to work hard at - understand the concepts and do lots and lots of questions!!

Olddddddd post but if I had the choice of Eng A1 HL or Maths HL, I'd pick Maths. Like previously stated, a 7 in English won't come from sheer hard work - raw talent must also be present and the only way I see it is to accumulate this gradually through love of reading or the language. I suppose some 'talent' is also needed for maths but it's a much easier subject to work hard at - understand the concepts and do lots and lots of questions!!

I know it isnt my place to interfere or anything, but it depends on the person, really [has been stated over like, what, ten times already in this thread?]. But yes, people do have the misconception that just because the TOEFL wasnt that great of a challenge, then English HL is just the exact same. English A1 is actually the only subject I find I am at ease with and able to keep up, whereas Maths HL is simply going terrible for me. I think what you have to do is to be openminded about aspects that appear in the works you're studying. "Think outside the box" would be appropriate to say, I guess. Helps in IOPs as well :D

The teacher would be quite a factor too though. Our teacher, for example, is one of the most excellent english teachers i've ever known. However, I think she's a little too lenient on the grading and so this doesn't actually give students the initiative to strive for a 7, if knowing a 7 would be a mere 80%.

I suggest a lot of bsing thought if you don't find anything to write in your WLAs.

Overall, I wouldn't say English A1 HL is "easy" but it isn't exactly as "tough" as everyone rates it to be. I think in general you should just love the subject, start liking to read [if you haven't already], and start breaking down as much texts as possible :D Working on your writing skills helps a lot as well. In your diary or journal, par exemple, I think there would be the best place to start practicing your writing skills :)

Our summer assignment for English A1 was to read and outline the book How To Read Literature Like A Professor by Thomas Foster.

I found the text immensely helpful, but as for the remainder of the course's content, the class is. . . void of learning, at best. Perhaps this is because I am inclined to independent work, however.

I would also suggest beginning to use proper grammar while using the Internet, such as in instant messaging. It will acclimate you to the grammatically correct world and that can only be helpful in IB (and of course, in institutions of higher learning). If you are not particularly a stellar speller, use Spell-Check on Mozilla Firefox, as well.

:)

We also looked at Lit Professor (AKA How to Read Literature Like a Professor). It really is a great resource. If I remember correctly, it focuses on symbolism.

I know the best writer in our class used to write creative pieces in her free time as a child. She was really into creating stories and the like and was on the school newspaper staff last year and writes for the local newspaper from time to time. She tells us that she enjoys it (edit: "it" as in writing), so if you can find a way to express yourself creatively, I'm fairly certain it'll pay off. :)

Edited by sweetnsimple786

Sorry. Why are people suggesting writing Shakespearean? That is, archaic, out of date and frivolous? I don't know if being a pedantic sycophant will help you with those moderators but getting a 7 is next to impossible with sheer hard work. You can't do it unless you love English and have been loving it for a few years to accumulate the necessary talent.

I think whoever said that was being sarcastic, haha.