What do I need to know about the EE?

heyitssj

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start my first year of IB in the fall, and something that has confused me is the Extended Essay. What can I write about and what's off-limits? I know that you have to pick a topic that relates to the subjects that you take in IB, but can you write about a topic that relates to a subject that you aren't taking?

The classes that I will be taking are:

• Math SL
  • Biology SL
  • Spanish B SL
  • History of Americas HL
  • Visual Arts HL
  • English Literature A HL

Thank you!!! 😁

You have to write a 4000 word research paper on a topic of your choosing. You can choose a topic from a subject you're not taking, but it is advised you choose one in a HL subject because you'll have a deeper understanding compared to writing something in Physics, for instance. It is also encouraged to not write it in a science or math subject because they're graded harshly. You'll need to do an experiment for the sciences. I'm not completely sure about that, I'm planning on writing mine in Eng A. Good luck!! 

On 6/30/2018 at 7:57 PM, heyitssj said:

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start my first year of IB in the fall, and something that has confused me is the Extended Essay. What can I write about and what's off-limits? I know that you have to pick a topic that relates to the subjects that you take in IB, but can you write about a topic that relates to a subject that you aren't taking?

The classes that I will be taking are:

• Math SL
  • Biology SL
  • Spanish B SL
  • History of Americas HL
  • Visual Arts HL
  • English Literature A HL

Thank you!!! 😁

You can write about anything you like, it doesn't have to be a subject you are taking. However, I recommend you do a topic related to a subject you are studying because not only you will have more information and knowledge available, you will also have more ideas on what to write about. The only time you should do a topic unrelated to your subjects is if you need it for university/college. For example, I had a friend who wanted to study film production in university, but my school did not offer IB film, so she wrote an extended essay based on art and film-making to help with her college application.

Within those limits, it is vital you choose a topic that interests you, even if it's challenging. You will be spending loads of hours researching and writing your EE, so you might as well enjoy it.

Also, make sure you check the EE rubric and criteria when writing the EE so you get the highest marks possible.

If you need any more help with the EE or any other element of the IB, check out these free resources website: https://www.eliteib.co.uk/ib-resources.php