Math Type II Height of Saplings

thevalley

there should be 12....and i don't think we can calculate expected frequencies for poisson distribution b'cause

it is only applicable for discrete random variable.............and that software is 'graphmatica' and not 'graphatica'.....

We can't calculate expected frequency for poisson? Isn't that what the question asks?

People who have a Mac, a good idea is to graph with Grapher 2.0. It can also help you to find the expected frequencies for normal distribution. I'm quite stuck with question 5 and 6. Can you give me a clue on them, please. Also the Poisson part is quite weird, I really have no idea on how to pull out the frequencies. The thing is that Poisson is discrete and it can hardly be applied to the values we have been provided with. As mentioned fractions can't be factorized.

Thanks for the help(in advance). Hope we manage to pull it off eventually. Cheers

well...i haven't found a method to calculate poisson distribution.....but i tried calculating using many methods........

the sum of the expected frequencies of poisson shud be 1000....but i ain't gettin that...so it means

that my methods are wrong......

so i thought....to move on with the next Q.....i think people who r

stuck on that Q shud also move on.....

if anyone do get an idea to calculate exp. frequency for poisson....then pls help!!!!!!

Edited by Munesh Yagna

Hey mathpoet, what am I doing wrong here? Is my mean wrong? I'm not sure what you mean. :(

The thing is: the Poisson can work only with integers so you have to find a way to turn the data into integers. So cm are not a good solution. Multiplication by 4 could solve everything, and then you're actually using a unit of 1/4m.

The thing is: the Poisson can work only with integers so you have to find a way to turn the data into integers. So cm are not a good solution. Multiplication by 4 could solve everything, and then you're actually using a unit of 1/4m.

Ok I've realized that too. But I just indexed X from being "height" into "interval number", so that X=0,1,2,3... I've calculated expected frequencies for Poisson with X being integers, and the sum ends up being 1. It seems promising since it adds up to 1, but some of my friends say I can't change X into integers, and suggested what you said. I'm pretty confused. :(

Even though it adds up to 1, I know it doesn't fit the sample because of the shape of the curve.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone one help? im kinda stuck on #2. for poisson i converted the heights to centimeters and im using 88.625 for the mean. these are the first few numbers that i got. 1.4134E-12, 0.005664067, 78.86415618.

i have no idea what to do for the normal distribution column.

• 3 months later...

Your answer, 0.001870472, is the probability that the expected/predicted number of occurrences in the interval {1.00-1.25}will be 0.88625 when there are 5 occurrences.

I would think that you would use 158 somewhere in there because it is the exact number of occurrences when the saplings were from 1.00 to 1.25m.

But because I do not know the full extent or purpose of the portfolio, i cannot say that it should be included. It depends on the portfolio.

• 3 months later...

hey everyone

im stuck on number 5. what exactly is a cumulative RELATIVE frequency curve, and how on earth is that supposed to help us find a pdf. Also, is the general goal of the assignment to find a function that models the data? If so, why can't we just plot the midclass values and frequencies on excel and generate a line of best fit and an equation :)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I am half way through the assignment and stuck on question 6...I don't understand. I have the cumulative relative frequency curve, am I supposed to find a function that best fits onto it, or do I find a distribution whose integral is almost the same as my frequency curve? Am i looking for a function or a distribution? We have only studied 3 distributions, poisson, normal and binomial and I know for a fact that neither of those will be the correct ones...which explains why I am stuck. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...