IA Type 2 - Viral Illness One

hatetolove

my teacher basically gave us the sheet and told us that it's due for saturday. [currently in the middle east and the school schedule is weird here, saturdays are basically our mondays, sundays our tuesdays, etc] she gave us basically a week and i've gotten no where. i don't know the structure or anything or how i'm going to achieve good marks in the portfolio. i've basically done q1 & 2 but i'm stuck on q3,4,5,6 & 7. can anybody give me any suggestions on how i can do the questions? pls? anybody?

thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated and i'll try to find/provide any ib exam papers you might be looking for.

MODELLING THE COURSE OF A VIRAL ILLNESS AND ITS TREATMENT HL TYPE II

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated. =]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

question 4 is hard because it's slightly ambiguous...

the medication is given through continuous intavenous treatment, hence in a linear function

the kidneys eradicate 2.5% per hour, but they work continuously, so also linear

hence the model is linear huh?

but isnt that just too easy?

anyone else figured out qu. 4?

qus. 1=3 work tho ... people who r having difficulties with 3 (the formula) revide Compound Interest in the geometric series unit .. it helps cos it's a similar thing (changing the rate from a four hour increast to every hour)

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out with what the questions are asking?

When it says that the kidneys eliminate at 2.5% an hour, do they mean deal with it so that at the end of your 1 hour eliminate 2.5% of whatever you have, or somehow figure out how to make the kidneys eliminate continuous which I have no idea how to do?

When it says onset of infection does it mean when the first particle enters the body or when viral count is 10000???

When it asks for reliability of the results,

parameters (assess criteria)

cnstraints (assess criteria)

variables (Assess criteria

what on earth is it asking for?!

• 2 months later...
Can someone help me out with what the questions are asking?

When it says that the kidneys eliminate at 2.5% an hour, do they mean deal with it so that at the end of your 1 hour eliminate 2.5% of whatever you have, or somehow figure out how to make the kidneys eliminate continuous which I have no idea how to do?

When it says onset of infection does it mean when the first particle enters the body or when viral count is 10000???

When it asks for reliability of the results,

parameters (assess criteria)

cnstraints (assess criteria)

variables (Assess criteria

what on earth is it asking for?!

It really doesn't matter as long as you state it in your report. You can elimeinate 2.5% first then add 1 hour of **** onto it. I did it the other way around, of finding the function of 1 hour then elimnating 2.5%. You start the coutn at 10,000 at 0 hours. This is just a starting point because its impossible to then measure the rate at which the viral particles start entering the body from 0 particles. so yes 10 000 is the number of particles at 0 hours.

reliability of results is basically pretty simple. you just have to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your report obviously of parameters and constarints and varibales. an easy way is then to compare it actual data or actual models to see how the result fits up. A weakness for example would be the much too varaied change between different patients as different people react to medication differently. Different people's immune systems are of different strengths as well

hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Mod Edit: All discussion about this IA to take place here

Well, I've started my math HL portfolio assignment, and I've run in to an issue.

We have a virus whose cells replicate to 160% per four hours, and an immune system that removes 50000 particles per hour. The idea is to create a function that models the virus, and initially I had:

A(t) = A(o)exp(kt)-50000t

The derivative of A(t) is: kA(o)exp(kt)-50000

Which is an issue, simply because there's something missing.

Anyways, I've gotten a bit stuck on this one, so a bit of help here would be nice. Just looking for the right formula for A(t) so that the rate of change is porportional to a constant times the amount, minus 50000.

• Like 1

Well... I plotted points at some different intervals and used a trendline. Despite wanting to commit suicide due to the inductive-ness of it all, it's looking okay, sort of. Guess the problem was that I did the first question on a purely logical basis, without the error caused by generating data points. If I have time I'll try an infinite series with this question, and see what I can get, but otherwise this should do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

but the two before both refer to different parts of the the portfolio.

and thus continuing discussion there would hardly be relevant, would it not?

sharkspider:

thanks for the advice

i was asking more about what other methods could i go about to find the model

plotting points and drawing a regression from excel wouldnt get me much points would it?

what other ways could the model be found?

Well, I studied differentials for a bit and I did figure out how to solve it, so you could always go in to maple 12 and do it, but I don't know how well that will do. I'm going to state straight up that the function can be modeled with an exponential function, in the form of y = Ae^x + b, so no worries there, but the problem is to find that function. Good luck, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I would also like to have help with this Portfolio! For Part one, I used XXXXX

For part two, I don't understand what using a spreadsheet means. I used a piecewise function and obtained XXXXXX.

Is this right or am I on the wrong track?

Mod Edit: You may not share formulas for possible answers. :wtf:

Im stuck on part 3! I can't find the differential equation!

• 2 weeks later...
qus. 1=3 work tho ... people who r having difficulties with 3 (the formula) revide Compound Interest in the geometric series unit .. it helps cos it's a similar thing (changing the rate from a four hour increast to every hour)

when you say, "eople who r having difficulties with 3 (the formula) revide Compound Interest in the geometric series unit"...you mean question 4 right...cause 3 doesn't ask you for a model.