Help! I am yet to start the IB, and I cant decide whether to choose Economics or ESS at SL. I would like to study pharmaceuticals at university, so neither of them are to important. So do I go to ESS because it is easier, and max my score, or do economics, because it might be helpful when Im already in a job.

Thank you

Edited by Kristof
typos

46 minutes ago, cluelesskidd said:

Wait but wouldn't HL Chemistry and Biology be best for pharmacy? Therefore you wouldn't have the option of taking ESS. I wouldn't do a class because it's "easy" if you enjoy economics more than do that. 

In my school we can do ESS as a group 3 subject, so i could still do bio and chem.

44 minutes ago, Kristof said:

In my school we can do ESS as a group 3 subject, so i could still do bio and chem.

This is interesting because this isn't the case in other IB schools. Maybe you should ask your IB coordinator if that's really true. On the official IBO website, ESS is a group 4 subject, so taking that and both bio and chem without an "official" group 3 subject may be dangerous for you in the long run. I think I would stick to economics in this case.

Hope this helped!

18 minutes ago, cluelesskidd said:

This is interesting because this isn't the case in other IB schools. Maybe you should ask your IB coordinator if that's really true. On the official IBO website, ESS is a group 4 subject, so taking that and both bio and chem without an "official" group 3 subject may be dangerous for you in the long run. I think I would stick to economics in this case.

Hope this helped!

I askes her, and she said that indeed I could take it as a group 3. But Ill take your advice and go for economics. Thanks for the help!

Actually, I'm really sorry. ESS isn't offered at my school so I just assumed that it was only in group 4, but your ib coordinator was right. I just looked at the ibo course description for ESS and I quote "Environmental systems and societies (ESS) is an interdisciplinary course offered only at standard level (SL). This course can fulfill either the individuals and societies or the sciences requirement. Alternatively, this course enables students to satisfy the requirements of both subjects groups simultaneously while studying one course. "

So, if you really want to do it because its "easy" and you think you will enjoy it, go right ahead. But if you truly are more interested in economics, go for that. As you said, this decision isn't life or death and isn't a determining factor in your future career, therefore, whichever class you choose will be fine. 

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. You can look more into the class at the IBO website or where I found that quote, which is here- http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/5895a05412144fe890312bad52b17044/envyr-systems-2016-english-final-web.pdf

I really hope this helped, and choose whichever class you think you will feel more comfortable in.