HELP WITH ADDING WORDS

chrisss

I'm doing a science EE (already regret it), in chemistry. I'm doing a lab comparing the ascorbic acid and glucose levels between commercial and actual orange juices. (except the experiment on glucose ended up NOT WORKING AT ALL).

I structured this like a regular lab report, and including everything (data, equations) I have barely over 2200 words, which probably means that excluding things that don't go in the final word count I might have ~2000. (my aim is 3000-3500 words)

How can I make up the extra 1000 to 1500 words? I just have no idea how to do this, this isn't English or social science paper so I can't BS to the word count.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I've got good news for you. As long as you're under 4000 words, IB doesn't really care about the number of words in Science/Math IA's. Of course, there may be ways where you can expand or complement your investigation which you may want to explore, but don't worry about being under the word count just because your under it. I don't know about chemistry, but from my understanding Math EE's are commonly around 2000 words. Also, I'd recommend you consulting with your mentor on the topic. Try not to worry too much.

• Like 1

Generally a lab report is used to justify your entire process, rather than to simply reiterate as if it's a chemical cook book. That means, you should go in great depth about how you designed your experiment, what were your assumptions, theory behind the chemistry, sources of error. You should have lots to talk about.

In our 75 page lab reports for my program, the problem is that people's writings are too wordy, not too concise.

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1

Hi! I am going to do my ee in chemistry but I am having a really hard time comming up with a topic, it is starting to get frustrating since I have changed topic several times and now I am starting to run out of time as I ideally should have decided my topic by tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations on were to find inspiration or ideas for sutiable investigations (I am doing an experimental based essay). And could any of you please tell how you came up with your topics and the thought process behind it??

@12345e Choose any topic, but by yourself! Tbh I was inspired from this forum (analyzing fruit juices) and I don't really like it because I actually like inorganic chemistry more than organic. As long as you choose your own original topic you won't feel bad on anything and not regret anything.

• Like 1