Should I drop out of the IB?

OnetimeWonder

Hello,

I'm in 12th grade and currently doing the international Abitur as well as the IB with Bio HL, German HL, and English HL. In my school, you HAVE to do the Abitur whereas the IB is optional. My time management isn't the best but decent, and I've been struggling lately with studying for individual subjects and keeping track of my EE and IAs, etc. It has gotten to a point where I seriously consider dropping the IB because of all the stress in my daily life and even struggling to sleep at times and only doing the International Abitur. My goal is to study in Canada, preferably the UOBC (Vancouver) and grade wise I am fine, but I feel like if I continue to do the IB, I'll not be able to do both to my maximum ability. The only thing I am scared about is however that the IB is apparently essential in Canada and I'm afraid of what that could potentially lead to me not attending my dream uni. What do you guys think I should do? 

Regards,

OneTimeWonder

I am considering Canada and mainly UofT or McGill and considered applying with my Turkish Diploma as well because IB is such a heavy workload and ı could not spare time sometimes to it because ı am a boarding student and returning back to home at weekends sometimes interrupted my studying. I take the English B, Chem, Biology, and Math in HL and Turkish Language and ESS in SL and I am in grade 12 . But I have learned that taking the IB also increases your chances of getting credits from various classes so I decided to stay on the track. So, if you give importance to taking credits in university, you should consider this aspect as well :) Best wishes

yes because ib would just give you too much workload,furthermore the  international Abitur is already a useful qualification to apply to universities around the world.Your school is quite lucky to have options since in my school i have no choice but to do IB.

Hey! 

I live in Canada and I also really want to go to UBC and I know that they do value IB more than other universities do. However, if you are getting high marks without IB, I think they will still accept you. 

Edited by A.W.

OP I think you are highly mistaken about the main thing...Canada does NOT care about IB (some U.S. schools care, however). I'm in Canada and I take IB, and all universities I apply to in Canada will only take my Ontario percentage. Some universities (i.e. UBC) will also accept the IB grade, but other schools (i.e. U of T) don't care about IB at all, let alone HL or SL.

23 hours ago, chrisss said:

OP I think you are highly mistaken about the main thing...Canada does NOT care about IB (some U.S. schools care, however). I'm in Canada and I take IB, and all universities I apply to in Canada will only take my Ontario percentage. Some universities (i.e. UBC) will also accept the IB grade, but other schools (i.e. U of T) don't care about IB at all, let alone HL or SL.

It would be a bit difficult to get the OP's Ontario grades considering he/she has never lived in Ontario or presumably any other Canadian province.

It is standard to apply with IB scores to schools in Canada (including U of T) as an international student who went to an IB school as this lets universities have a common background when evaluating students.

You're experience has been different, as you are a domestic student.

Also, take a look at this @OnetimeWonderThis is a link to UBC's requirements for the Abitur, which is absolutely fine for admissions. IB is not at all essential for admission to UBC. You can similarly repeat this process for many other universities by selecting Germany out the list of countries that they give you. It's not difficult. Always trust the university website; don't trust silly rumors that you hear.