whats your homework load? (planning extracurricular)

Worry2much

Hey guys,:gbye:

If your doing the full IB diploma program, what's the average number of hours you spend on homework a night?  (i know people procrastinate and do nothing on one night and the cram it all in another night, so maybe how many hours a week?) and out of those hours how much of it is spent studying? Actual assigned work? big projects?    

Also, how does the homework load in 11th grade for DP compare to the homework amount in 10th grade for MYP?

I do several out of school activities and i want to see what i need to get rid of before school starts so that I'm not completely overwhelmed. Listing what out of school stuff you do and what classes you take might be helpful. 

thanks!^_^

For most of my subjects, it's not so much as homework as just keeping up with classes. Unlike in MYP or PYP, not doing the homework would actually affect you badly. For instance, in Maths, my teacher usually assigns Review Set questions, as well as a few past paper questions on a topic for homework. Even though you don't need to, not doing such work would be pretty detrimental for when you take the test as you lacked practice. Furthermore in my school, homework is worth 5% of your entire semester grade, and it would be pretty wasteful not to do well in that. 

As for how it compares to MYP, in my case, I do less projects for classes like presentations/posters, because you're going to have to deal with TOK & EEs. Usually, I spend about an hour a day for all studying and homework, which isn't much. It's not hard to balance with about half a dozen extracurriculars each week. 

Also in 11th grade, workload is smaller compared to 12th grade (unless you're anticipating a subject). Although it'll take more time management skills than for in MYP, you can still spend a good deal of time relaxing. 

I find that it depends on you, your school, and the subject. For instance, I usually had 1-2 hours of homework every night, but more like 7 per week. Yet, that's because I did all of my Math homework during other classes, didn't have any Bio homework (except for studying for weekly tests), and left all reading-based homework to actually do at home [Which is what took up the most time for me, being a slow reader]. I was able to maintain a very good sleep schedule (I went to bed around 8:30-9:00 every night), but I know others in my school had TONS of homework to do because they didn't manage their time efficiently. Lucky for me, I tend to readily understand concepts & information, so studying wasn't something I really had to do. 

I didn't do MYP, so I can't help you there unfortunately! :(

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I"m currently in DP2, part of the M22 batch. Ideally, it's recommended to spend 2 hours on each of ur HL subjects and 1 hour on each of ur SL subjects every day. This could be focused on homework, IAs or exam prep even. 

To be honest, MYP prepares you for DP to a certain extent. However, there's a huge jump in the level and quantity of content. Imagine figuring your way around that as well as having to complete CAS hours, commit to extracurriculars and have a decent social life! So, try and get your ECAs out of the way in DP1 so you can focus on your studies in DP2.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4 hours ago, MayaJay said:

Hi,

I"m currently in DP2, part of the M22 batch. Ideally, it's recommended to spend 2 hours on each of ur HL subjects and 1 hour on each of ur SL subjects every day. This could be focused on homework, IAs or exam prep even. 

To be honest, MYP prepares you for DP to a certain extent. However, there's a huge jump in the level and quantity of content. Imagine figuring your way around that as well as having to complete CAS hours, commit to extracurriculars and have a decent social life! So, try and get your ECAs out of the way in DP1 so you can focus on your studies in DP2.

Let me know if you have any questions!

2 hours per HL subject is 6h. 1h per SL subject is 3h. Are you actually suggesting someone does 9h per day of extra study in addition to school? Are you doing it? If so, good lord, please stop. This is not healthy or sustainable. I never did anywhere near that much - it's been almost a decade since I finished IB but I'd say it's never been more than 3-4h a day. Sometimes weekends would get busy, and I did my EE over the summer, so at some point it was 4 days solid of writing, but even then I doubt I did 9h in one day. Hell, I work full time now and that's 7.5h. 

Btw, I got 39 points, got into Oxford, and now I'm a successful professional.