Am I ****ed?

Screams

So, I'm not the greatest at math. During my sophomore year I got an a first quarter and straight B's the next three. (However this was just Ny state regent standards, known to be lightwork compared to IB) I hate studying and math work, so I never really completed all the hw nor studied for tests. To make matters worse, I have the chronic habit of falling asleep in classes I find boring, like to the point where have my notes have giant lines across them because I sometimes fall alseep while writing. (I have tried sleep, caffiene, wasabi, gum and mints all to no avail.) in May my parents made my take the HL maths course. I wasn't worried, as I thought my advisor would look at my grades and go lol **** no you're taking sl. I neglected the fact that my advisor hates me with an undying passion (I may or may not have set all the clocks to 4:20 in his room). So like, he signed the approval sheet without so much as looking at me. Now I'm in hl math and the summer homework is ****ing me over. I cannot change courses, school policy. Is there anything I can do to un-**** myself and somehow become a math God in a month. Plz. I have yet to get an f in a course and I really don't feel like breaking that record

Sounds like you're in a predicament. I just finished year 1 of math HL (with a predicted 6 so far) and it is a challenging course for anyone, even those with a genuine interest in math. I only made it because I have some interest, a good teacher and a very solid background in maths (as in 95+ up until IB).

In your situation, I think you first have to figure out what you want to do after HS. If you don't plan on going into certain areas of STEM, then honestly Math HL is a waste of time and energy. Not only that, it can affect your other courses (because it is very time consuming) and can potentially negatively affect your university application, even if you did not apply to a math heavy major. If what you want to do doesn't need the things taught in math HL, then talk to your parents about it and let them know how taking this course can adversely affect you and your prospects, and I'm sure they'll understand.

If you do indeed plan on going into STEM, and if there is no way to change courses no matter what, then I still think you can tough it out. After all, it's just year 1 and while it's hard it is by no means impossible for anyone. While it is pretty impossible to become a math God in a month, it is very possible to develop some interest in the subject and put yourself in a position to do well in the coming year (kudos to you for doing summer homework!). If you work hard and show your teacher that you are actively trying to improve, then I doubt you'll receive a F in the course. Falling asleep is a big no-no because in IB notes are everything, so instead of trying an outside stimulant, find some interest or motivation within yourself to keep going. I think if you really wanted to, you can stay awake for a math class and not find it boring. If after year 1 you still feel HL math isn't for you, it is wholly possible (over here anyways) to drop to SL for year 2, or just drop to SL for the exam (your predicted mark should be adjusted to the SL level after you inform your teacher).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

• Like 1