IB Subject Choices for Medicine?

Titanium

Hi, I'm wondering if my choices are fine for someone who wants to be a doctor in the future:

HL: English Literature, Chemistry, Biology
SL: Math, History, National Language A

Is Math SL too low? Also, is this combination considered rigorous enough for top universities (and good enough for merit based scholarships if I score high enough?). 

Thanks!

It would depend which country and universities you would like to study medicine at. It varies depending on country, if it's India for example you'd be expected to take all 3 sciences. If you are applying to the UK I recommend you visit this link: 

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_IB_Requirements

As far as I know to study medicine in the USA you would need to have an undergraduate degree first. 

You need to check the IB subject requirements for the universities/ countries that you'd like to apply to. 

Generally speaking, Chemistry HL is required for medicine and Biology is sometimes required as well so having these two is a good combination. You should be fine with Maths SL. Again you'd have to check specific universities requirements on subject to see if you qualify for merit based scholarships. 

• Like 1

HL Math is one of the hardest or THE hardest IB courses along with HL Physics. Since you are taking HL chem and HL Bio (which are also very demanding), I would stick with Math SL. 

Also, try to have a Physics in there, you'll need some prior knowledge of basic Physics so you'll be ok in undergrad. 

24 minutes ago, Kroinky said:

HL Math is one of the hardest or THE hardest IB courses along with HL Physics. Since you are taking HL chem and HL Bio (which are also very demanding), I would stick with Math SL. 

Also, try to have a Physics in there, you'll need some prior knowledge of basic Physics so you'll be ok in undergrad. 

I took Physics at IGCSE and I'm not able to take it alongside bio and chem in IB :c

3 hours ago, Orthopedic-Surgeon said:

I took Physics at IGCSE and I'm not able to take it alongside bio and chem in IB :c

It's fine not to take IB physics, but try to take some sort of Physics course over the summer maybe? Or worst case scenario, spend a week or two of your summer and go through a NON-IB Physics curriculum. Trust me, it'll help to know some Physics in university instead of having 0 knowledge. 

I almost made that mistake of leaving out Physics completely, but thank God for summer school. XD 

I took non IB physics in summer school. After taking IB for a year, that physics course was a complete joke. I got a mid-90 by doing almost nothing. I definitely reccommend physics for premed programs. Also, if you decide you don't want to pursue med school, having a physics course will make it easier to transfer to another program.