Taking 2 HL sciences? Bio and Chem

I would say that its probably circumstantial. My principle piece of advice is that its truly a matter of why you are choosing to do this? Of course, the well-trodden pathway is to take your First Language at HL and your humanity at HL, whilst selecting a final HL based on personal strength. For me, its ended up being Psychology, English and Biology HL. However, this isn't to say its impossible or a poor choice even to do two HL sciences. There are many reasons that one would choose this.

a) You are really poor at humanities and would strongly rather complement your science strengths than humanity weaknesses. b) University prerequisites or c) You really just like them. My feedback is, go for it! However, take under advisement the distinct fact that Group 4s are notorious for the jump from HL to SL, so in this way, consider that you are taking a tough pathway with HL choice. HL sciences fulfill the true HL definition, greater in depth and breadth. For example, whilst in SL Biology you might study the very basic principles of Photosynthesis (2.9) but later on in AHL content you come back and develop the inner biochemistry behind it (8.3). In SL Chemistry you might study VSEPR principles at 2, 3, 4 electron domains, but later on in AHL,  you come back and study harder concepts in 5 and 6 domains. My honest opinion is that, it is more manageable with your stronger science at HL and the weaker at SL, but truly if you can justify in your mind why you think two HL sciences is a good choice for YOU, then I think thats also manageable.

I have both chem HL and Bio HL and it is manageable, most of the people on my class who went off to study natural sciences have two sciences HL and really for me it was fine. Yes, you will need to study more and if you're interested that shouldn't be a problem because for me, SL sciences are like a peak into every topic while in HL you really gain understanding.

There is no additional writing (like for Language and Literature), no additional papers (like for social sciences), the papers are longer so there is no time pressure... If you like Chem and Bio, no problem with two HL. Really.

• Like 2

Have both Chem and Bio HL. Not a huge problem because they are interrelated and I enjoyed it pretty much (except for chemistry at times when it gets hard). HL is more in-depth while SL is like on the surface. Of course, it really depends on your interest and your reason of taking two science HLs. I enjoyed my science HLs except for IA to design your own experiments because I am not good in designing one at all. 

As @AnjaDe said, papers have no time pressure at all especially for HL because you got 2 hours and 15 minutes for the whole Paper 2? Way enough. 

• Like 2

I'm currently doing those at HL and although it's difficult (because you know, IB is difficult) my aim is to get a 7 at both subjects in the exams of next year (so, I assure you that if you have good teachers and have a goal in your studies, mine is to study medicine for example, you'll be able to manage them=

I'd advise taking a Group 2 subject as your third HL if you're taking that double science HL route (which is definitely doable; just requires patience, time and effort). 

Taking a Group 2 subject as your third HL, and if it's a language you're comfortable with, goes a long way in balancing out your workload with taking double science HL, compared to taking a Group 3 or Group 1/5 subject for your third HL. 

At the end of the day though, it's still up to your preference.