Chemistry IB exam procedure

miss_myrtille

hello everyone, 

I recently finished my chemistry 2016 exams and only realized after I came out of the examination room that I wrote outside the answer boxes. Although I did not exceed the boxes very much, only by maybe 2 cm max, do you think my answers will not be scanned?

Guest SNJERIN
49 minutes ago, miss_myrtille said:

hello everyone, 

I recently finished my chemistry 2016 exams and only realized after I came out of the examination room that I wrote outside the answer boxes. Although I did not exceed the boxes very much, only by maybe 2 cm max, do you think my answers will not be scanned?

Oops! I am not sure how important the information you wrote outside the boxes but as far as I know only the boxes are scanned and sent to the examiner. Your coordinator should have told you before every single exam to NOT write outside the boxes. 

However, I hope everything will go fine. 

Guest SNJERIN
12 minutes ago, Steven Nanda said:

Wait, we can't exceed the boxes provided? I used the whole page for my math sl paper.. Are they really gonna ignore it? My coordinator never told me to do so..

Well, you can always continue your working below the lines in maths but definitely not outside the boxes. As I have commented previously, only the boxes are scanned. My chemistry teacher is an examiner and she once showed me how she marks the papers. Basically she only sees the boxes and graphs, other then that, she sees nothing. But again, the person responsible for the scanning might notice you're work and if your lucky they might scan the whole page. 

Edited by Haitham Wahid

17 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

Well, you can always continue your working below the lines in maths but definitely not outside the boxes. As I have commented previously, only the boxes are scanned. My chemistry teacher is an examiner and she once showed me how she marks the papers. Basically she only sees the boxes and graphs, other then that, she sees nothing. But again, the person responsible for the scanning might notice you're work and if your lucky they might scan the whole page. 

Oh right not math I meant biology sorry. I do believe that it's very obvious that my answers outside the box didn't appear as "scrap", because it's continuous and just under the box. I'll be very disappointed if this will ruin my mark :hisfault:

It's very unfortunate that it wasn't made clear that you need to write in the boxes. The examiners will probably not see the work outside of the box. In future instances you should always write additional content in one of those answer booklets. Unless you did this for literally every single question, your overall grade should not be affected. 

Tbh, there should be extra emphasis of not to exceed the boxes, maybe even on each examination paper rules: Do not write out of the boxes. if you ran out of spaces, extra answer paper would be given. The coordinators should have made that clear. However, I believe you just wrote some of the words outside of the box, so I think it will not affect your grades that much.