Math HL Paper 2

I did TZ1 and I honestly found it to be harder than paper 1, mostly as it was very long... Unfortunately I left one question blank, and I was unable to solve another, but I answered all of the section B questions so I still believe that I did well. 

The goat question was particularly unpopular among my classmates and I.

To be honest, I solved section A in like 40 minutes. It was supereasy and expect pretty good marks on paper 2 unless I made dumb mistakes.

Section B the first question was just amazing. Second question. Hmm.. have some doubts, but I think I've managed to solve it thru. The last question especially the 10 mark sub-question was confusing, but I think I probably got some grades for the method. Rest of the question was pretty straightforward.

Generally, I think this is the most common "IB" pattern. They give you hell in a paper one and become pretty generous in paper 2. Hoping to ace the paper 3 next wednesday and just relax my post-high school life.

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

I am so jealous. When I got my 5 minutes reading time I was like, god this crap so easy. 

Then I got stuck in section b with the graphs and I lost an hour. 

Then I tried to catch up doing section A, and I realized I had better just started with section A, as I could have scored higher with all those easy questions. 

The one with the Poisson distribution though got me thinking. and the one about probability and the balls. 
You had balls like :1,2,2,3,3,3. So the only even "the sum of three balls randomly taken is 5", was only 1, so the probability was (1)/nCr(6,3). Right? 

And the one with the Poisson distribution said like, 5 customers come in the first 4 hours. what's the probability that 3 customers will come in the first hour? 

So I thought that M=4/5 and you just plugged stuff in in the formula and got like .3243

Did you take TZ1 exam? I didn't i don't remember seeing that type of question though poisson related question did come out. 

Guest SNJERIN
1 hour ago, Seung Hun Han said:

Did you take TZ1 exam? I didn't i don't remember seeing that type of question though poisson related question did come out. 

As far as I remember the poisson distribution question was about faulty in making glass of area 5m^2 for TZ2

1 hour ago, Haitham Wahid said:

As far as I remember the poisson distribution question was about faulty in making glass of area 5m^2 for TZ2

Wait which question is it?? I can't remember the questions but it would be great if someone could remind me so that we can compare our results... :P

4 hours ago, thestruggleisreal28 said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2n2uzoP2_48eUNValNDMFBYQXIyaDNzS1ZaRjh0c1pOOW53/view

^For anyone who's interested in checking the answers out. Done by some random math teacher. 

Thanks for sharing!

An error was made at 11ciii. The correct answer is (4x^3-420)/(x^2+35)^3. 

Another error is at 11d, it is bounded above as well at x=13.8.

Third error at 12b. The expression given is for e^x rather than x.

Edited by DSi

Guest SNJERIN
27 minutes ago, DSi said:

Thanks for sharing!

An error was made at 11ciii. The correct answer is (4x^3-420)/(x^2+35)^3. 

Another error is at 11d, it is bounded above as well at x=13.8.

Third error at 12b. The expression given is for e^x rather than x.

I think there is a little mistake in Q5 as well. The range of ƒ is [0,∞[  and not  ]0,∞ [

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I had no goat question :o 

I always aced questions with goats. Was it, by any chance, a goat tied to a pole and moving through a certain range and you had to calculate circle stuff? 

It was in TZ1 :P. Yes that was it but it wasn't just a circle, the field was triangular and it was a weird question. 

On 5/12/2016 at 6:19 PM, Andrew said:

The one with the Poisson distribution though got me thinking. and the one about probability and the balls. 
You had balls like :1,2,2,3,3,3. So the only even "the sum of three balls randomly taken is 5", was only 1, so the probability was (1)/nCr(6,3). Right? 

And the one with the Poisson distribution said like, 5 customers come in the first 4 hours. what's the probability that 3 customers will come in the first hour? 

So I thought that M=4/5 and you just plugged stuff in in the formula and got like .3243

Yep. Should be 1/nCr(6, 3)
For poisson you want mean PER HOUR, which is M = 5/4. You can get follow through marks though.

Guest iblearner
On 5/13/2016 at 3:03 PM, Andrew said:

I guess (Sweden's TZ1, right?) 

There were actually two Poisson distribution questions, but the other was too long and worth only 5 marks that I just left it blank. 

Also, the one with the logarithms gave me a weird answer, so I assume I was wrong, but I had no time to correct it. The rowers time with 1, and 2 rowers was like 365 and 370 or sth like that. But I got like 3850, so I guess I was off by a factor 100, and I just kind of smeared in the decimal point in two places in hope that the examiner sees I was aware of my mistake and will feel sorry for me. 

idk if we got the same question but if the log question was the simultaneous one, i got e^something for both x and y.