Hi Everybody,

I wanted to ask whether one is allowed to bring TWO calculators to the IB Exams (only those permitting calculator use goes without saying),

the reason being that for the first part of the course I was using a Texas Instrument handheld device and changed to a HP device for the second part, meaning there are operations I am MUCH more comfortable with using one and others I would much rather use the other for.

Obviously, I would never be using both at the same time (XD) so it would be like having one, only one that I am entirely familiar with. :)

Thank you!

Rebs

You can only switch the second one if the first malfunctions / out of battery. So if you switch to the second one, you cannot switch back. 

From official calculator guide (accessed through third-party server) 

You may only use a calculator in the following examinations. If you take one into any other examination then you must place it on the floor.

http://www.navajoprep.com/zapn-manager/uploads/docs/CALCULATORS_FOR_IB_EXAMS_0.pdf

You can only switch the second one if the first malfunctions / out of battery. So if you switch to the second one, you cannot switch back. 

You may only use a calculator in the following examinations. If you take one into any other examination then you must place it on the floor.

http://www.navajoprep.com/zapn-manager/uploads/docs/CALCULATORS_FOR_IB_EXAMS_0.pdf

Wait that is not what the quote you mention is saying...all that one is saying is which exams you can use a calculator in (presumably there is a list of exams below the line you copied) and that if you're doing an exam in which calculators are NOT permitted then you must put it on the floor to clearly show you are adhering to the rules by not using it at any time during the exam.

My question is different, I'm asking for an exam in which calculators ARE allowed, if we can have two?

Thanks!!

Wait that is not what the quote you mention is saying...all that one is saying is which exams you can use a calculator in (presumably there is a list of exams below the line you copied) and that if you're doing an exam in which calculators are NOT permitted then you must put it on the floor to clearly show you are adhering to the rules by not using it at any time during the exam.

My question is different, I'm asking for an exam in which calculators ARE allowed, if we can have two?

Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure it will be difficult for anyone here to answer this question as it is highly unlikely people head to an exam with two calculators. I'd ask your IBC. 

Also, did you check if your calculator is allowed by the IBO? Cause that list says quite a few HP calculators are forbidden (though I've no idea what model you have). 

I wanted to ask whether one is allowed to bring TWO calculators to the IB Exams (only those permitting calculator use goes without saying),

the reason being that for the first part of the course I was using a Texas Instrument handheld device and changed to a HP device for the second part, meaning there are operations I am MUCH more comfortable with using one and others I would much rather use the other for.

Obviously, I would never be using both at the same time ( XD) so it would be like having one, only one that I am entirely familiar with. :)

Look at this document in the calculator section: http://west.slcschools.org/academics/international-baccalaureate/documents/TheconductofIBDiplomaProgrammeexaminations2015.pdf

It says:

More than one calculator per candidate may be brought into the examinations room. However, a spare set of batteries is a preferable alternative to several calculators.

However, as advised by kw0573 and Gaby, it is best to check it with your IB coordinator, because he/she will have the last decision.

• Like 2