Hi guys, so I'm in the beginning stages of research for my History IA. Right now my topic question is: To what extent did the assassination of Abraham Lincoln help or hurt the Radical Republicans. Is this a good topic or should I change it? 

Edited by Savannah18

It sounds great, just make sure there's enou material for you to answer it and debate it. Keep in mind the five things that the research question needs to focus on: focused, not so narrow but not so broad either, debatable and most importantly, answerable!

If I was you I would play around with the wording a little, like try to change the word "hurt" to something a little more different maybe. I don't know but this is my suggestion ;)

To add to what Aisha Muq. said, you want to specify help and hurt. Leaving it that open makes it way too easy to either go over the word limit or not address all aspects of your question. Try to start focusing in on a particular facet (or maybe a couple facets) of the party that it helped or hurt.