Can anyone offer advice, FAILING IB PHYSICS

Leesurvive

Hi everyone,

im doing IB HL physics in my second year.

I got a level 2 in my mocks. i wanted to apply to uni but probably wont go now because of physics. I have workers so much, i dont know what else i can do.

How do you guys revise ?

Do you have any methods of revision that could help me ....

Thanks

;)

Hey :)

Have you tried watching YouTube tutorials? They help explaining the theory in a visual way, and I found that it helped me a lot! Here are some good channels:

https://www.youtube.com/user/exportationality/playlists

https://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellMitch/playlists

Also, I did about 50 million past papers, and I got my teacher to give me almost every single questionbank question there is. Doing past questions is the best thing you can do, because it gives you an idea as to what you're going to be faced with. Also, with Paper 3, I noticed that the IB kinda "recycles" questions, in that many questions are similar to those of past papers, so if you do heaps of past papers, you're set to go :)

There's a few mindset things that also help a lot. If I'm ever stuck with a question, I'll always go to the relevant section in the databooklet to see what there is. Looking at equations, and seeing what values you already have may give you the needed rush of inspiration to tackle the question. Also, if a question gives you a heap of values (e.g. those thermal physics questions where they give you stuff like latent heat, specific heat capacity, change in temperature, etc.) it means you're expected to use every single one of those values. So if you don't use one of them, you're probably doing something wrong!

Have you thought of investing in a tutor? I tutored one of my friends (and I'm no professional) and I managed to boost his grade from 1s and 2s, to 4s and 5s. If you're really desperate, I think it's a good way to go.

I hope I helped a bit, and feel free to message me at any time if you need :)

• Like 4

Thank you for your advice, its very helpful 

I will try doing the youtube videos as well, its just time is limited on the IB but I'm not giving up aha.

The problem seems that i make the notes on the topics, so maybe past papers is really something to focus on now.

Thankyou for the tac tics as well its small tips like that can make a massive difference.

Yes currently investing in a tutor, that will be weekly so hoping this will make a difference :)

Thank you for the feedback it is seriously appreciated, 

:) 

• Like 2

The problem seems that i make the notes on the topics, so maybe past papers is really something to focus on now.

There are only three things physics notes should be primarily for

1. Definitions. <=== Easy marks, but only <10% of marks.

2. Equations. What are the assumptions? eg conservation of linear momentum for no external force. Physical quantities involved in the equation. <== Need lots of practice AND good knowledge of the equations.

3. Physics theory. Eg gold foil experiment, right hand rules, emission of e/m waves. <== Need lots of practice AND good memorization

As a result, HL Physics would have likely much less notes than other HL topics. It's all about practise. 

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1