Can I get into a good university with partial IB and an OSSD?

wrikder1999

So right now in school, we're choosing our DP courses for next year. However, I am still unsure if I will be taking the full IBDP or just IB courses  :unsure: I know a lot of you will tell me that the IBDP is worth it and stuff, but I'm a pretty competitive swimmer (I swim around 9 times a week) so managing the IB as well as all my co-curriculars just sound absurd to me at this point. On top of that I would be having to do the EE, CAS, and TOK which I'm not particularly interested in, to be honest  :P So my main question is will I still be able to get into a (RELATIVELY) good university by doing partial IB? Please keep in mind that I go to high school in Canada so I will be graduating with an Ontario Diploma (OSSD) as well as my IB Certificates. Is this sufficient? My university options are mostly in the UK, but also a few in US and Canada.

My subject choices look somewhat like

History HL

English Lang/Lit HL

Biology SL

Math Studies

Economics SL

Latin SL

******************btw, planning on taking Poli-Sci or International Relations in Uni, maybe even Law in the future*******************************************

Are my subjects alright btw? I might even take Biology as an HL  ^_^

Thanks in advance guys! 

^ Most definitely, yes, it is sufficient.

If you honestly love swimming and don't want to quit (which I completely understand as a competitive athlete myself), the OSSD doesn't deter you from getting into a good uni. Your subject choices look great for what you want to go into. Just keep your marks up and keep participating in extra curriculars.

Canadian Universities don't discriminate against a simple OSSD.

Instead of taking Math studies, however, I'd suggest taking SL math. It'll leave you with more options, just in case you change your mind (many programs don't really recognize maths studies).

Hope this helped!

• Like 4

For Canadian universities, you'll be applying with Ontario marks - the converted percentage rather than the IB grade. Canadian unis only care about the mark, regardless of regular Ontario level or SL or HL. So whether you get a certificate or not doesn't matter to them. But like the post above, math studies may inhibit you from getting into many programs, especially if you change your mind.

I have no idea about the UK though on whether or not they prefer a diploma. But they probably have admitted Ontario students with the OSSD only in the past so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone from the UK can answer that. Good luck!

• Like 2

^ Most definitely, yes, it is sufficient.

If you honestly love swimming and don't want to quit (which I completely understand as a competitive athlete myself), the OSSD doesn't deter you from getting into a good uni. Your subject choices look great for what you want to go into. Just keep your marks up and keep participating in extra curriculars.

Canadian Universities don't discriminate against a simple OSSD.

Instead of taking Math studies, however, I'd suggest taking SL math. It'll leave you with more options, just in case you change your mind (many programs don't really recognize maths studies).

Hope this helped!

For Canadian universities, you'll be applying with Ontario marks - the converted percentage rather than the IB grade. Canadian unis only care about the mark, regardless of regular Ontario level or SL or HL. So whether you get a certificate or not doesn't matter to them. But like the post above, math studies may inhibit you from getting into many programs, especially if you change your mind.

I have no idea about the UK though on whether or not they prefer a diploma. But they probably have admitted Ontario students with the OSSD only in the past so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe someone from the UK can answer that. Good luck!

Thank you guys soooooooo much for your help!!! I feel so much better about myself now  :D  :lol:  :rolleyes: