IA: is this possible?

NiCKEL

I'm a bit too deep for this to not work but (for the IA)...is regressional analysis the only way to try to fit data poitns to a curve? I have sets of cost values that I can plot on a graph but I need something to create a curve so I can apply calculus to it. It's sort of a two-step process that I wish I looked deeper into before choosing my topic.. First I get a function and then I find max/min points; without step one it seems too simple and with it it's a WHOLE lot of work for SL level

In other words, how do people approaching modelling IAs? I saw a disease (SIR) model sample IA where they declared variables for their function, from what appears to be, out of thin air...

Edited by NiCKEL

LoggerPro (30 day trial) and LoggerLite (free) provide the option for you to fit curves to data. The curves can be self-defined. Variations are also available on MS Excel.
If curve fitting is not the math concepts you are trying to exploit then using software can help. You should explain how the program makes such fittings. 

Though I do not say this often, you shouldn't overestimate the difficulty of SL Math math exploration. As long as you put some good thought on it you are fine. For HL all I did was some standard deviation difference stuff, mentioned a few theorems, wrote 5 pages still ended up with good mark.
That being said, all your work up to this point can still be presented as your attempt to find a suitable function. 

Though I do not say this often, you shouldn't overestimate the difficulty of SL Math math exploration. As long as you put some good thought on it you are fine. For HL all I did was some standard deviation difference stuff, mentioned a few theorems, wrote 5 pages still ended up with good mark.

That being said, all your work up to this point can still be presented as your attempt to find a suitable function. 

Hmmm...what is the general attitude towards use of technology? Of course excel formulas don't offer the same chance to show opportunity to showe understanding like a 5-line equation typed out, but I mean if, like you said, I spend like 5 attempts at finding a curve with technology, would that count ask decent amount of "work" or would that be seen as "he played around with a few images", no math has been shown?

Beyond finding the function, all i really have left to do is take a few derivatives...

EDIT: are there simpler methods that may be more inaccurate but more hands-on, as a last ditch approach? (ex. trial and error with the factored form of a quadratic func. or something)

Edited by NiCKEL

I am being careful with how much I help you in your writing of a math exploration. In other words we can help you with what to do, not what to write or the mathematical details. I have advised you of several sources and strategies you can use. It is your responsibility to demonstrate your understanding and application of math. Your attempts to use regressional analysis can still be incorporated into your exploration even if they are seemingly fruitless. You should figure out how much and what kind of explanations can be provided with technological aids. If you need clarification on the latter part you should consult with your adviser/teacher.

EDIT: I reread my response and I don't think I made it clear. The significance of the technology in demonstrating your math abilities is largely dependent on how well you can explain and justify your process. If you have no idea what math the computer did then very likely you are not going to exhibit strong math application skills.

Edited by kw0573

I am being careful with how much I help you in your writing of a math exploration. In other words we can help you with what to do, not what to write or the mathematical details. I have advised you of several sources and strategies you can use. It is your responsibility to demonstrate your understanding and application of math. Your attempts to use regressional analysis can still be incorporated into your exploration even if they are seemingly fruitless. You should figure out how much and what kind of explanations can be provided with technological aids. If you need clarification on the latter part you should consult with your adviser/teacher.

EDIT: I reread my response and I don't think I made it clear. The significance of the technology in demonstrating your math abilities is largely dependent on how well you can explain and justify your process. If you have no idea what math the computer did then very likely you are not going to exhibit strong math application skills.

That edit helped, thanks