Subject Choices for engineering

GK1

Hello!

I am entering the IB in September 2016. I currently want to study engineering, most probably electronic/electrical or aerospace. My current subject choices look as follows;

HL;

Maths

Physics

Chem

History

SL;

English Lang Lit

Dutch Lang Lit

I am currently doing pretty well in school with an average of 6.5+ out of 7. Would these subject choices be feasible for what I want to study? Any feedback is much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Any average that is more than 5-6 months away from the finals, is meaningless. Your school is doing the thing “take four HLs and drop one", I assume? HL History may be more difficult if you are not taking literature but instead lang/lit. But if you are a good writer you don't have to worry about history. Overall the mix looks good.

You could even drop chemistry as it would make your life easier than dropping history would. I do SL chemistry and it is the easiest SL science and is really similar to the IGCSE course we did. I don't do history so can't comment on that. 

The strictest prerequisites are in the UK and they only need HL maths and physics so make sure you don't drop those! I would recommend only taking three HL instead of starting off with the "drop if it gets too hard attitude". 

Hi!

To get into a good engineering university, you should have physics, chemistry and math hl. If you can't keep up with the stress and everything, maybe you should look at other options. I wanted to do engineering in the beginning of IB as well, but then I changed my mind a bit. I've taken phy, chem and math hl as well and it is not easy. I don't know much about history, but I do know that you don't need it for any engineering course. So maybe you could take other subject, or take SL. Otherwise, the subject choice is perfect, just make sure that your score doesn't do down because of it though. Good luck!