HELP! History IA

revumol7

Hey all,

I was thinking of doing my history IA on how cold war gave birth to modern terrorism (especially groups such as the Taliban). I don't know how good a topic this is and I would love to have your suggestions. 

Thanks!!

Edited by revumol7

Remember, the History IA is only 2000 words long. You'll have to be very specific in your question and it'd be best to focus on one particular group in a particular time as opposed to modern terrorism in general, as otherwise you'd most certainly go over the word limit. Whilst I initially thought that it could be breaking the rules of the event being at least ten years before the present day, I think you can work around it since it's really a 'consequence of the Cold War' and you could also focus the question in a manner that prevents it from crossing the decade limit. I think it's an interesting question and I hope it works out for you!

Hey all,

I was thinking of doing my history IA on how cold war gave birth to modern terrorism (especially groups such as the Taliban). I don't know how good a topic this is and I would love to have your suggestions. 

Thanks!!

It may be difficult because you're comparing history to modern day.. However, if you really like this topic, I suggest narrowing down to an element of the Cold War that stands out to you and investigating its links to modern terrorism. I also suggest focusing on one element of modern terrorism (maybe look into a specific case study as well?) so that your topic is more focused and you can go more in depth discussing it.

Hope I helped a bit and good luck with your HI! :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion... Would this be a better question?

"To What extent did guerrilla warfare during the cold war lead to the development of modern day radical Islamist terrorism?"

Yeah I think this sounds better because you're focusing on specific aspects. I would still do some further research to see if you can narrow to a specific group in terms of guerrilla warfare. If you think you can talk about this RQ you already have in the word limit, then stick with it, but it's always good to do a little more research to see. 

• Like 1