Should I even do IB?

6ix god

Hey everyone! The title is basically my question, but I'm going to expand because I think that isn't enough information. I'm a grade 10 student in BC, Canada. My school doesn't have MYP because it's a fairly new IB school, so I'm doing the regular BC education curriculum. Ever since high school started (grade 8) I've been getting decent grades; my grade 8 and 9 averages are both 86%+. However we just got our report cards for term 1 and my average dropped to 84.7%. I know why my average is so low; it's because the transition from grade 9 to 10 was kind of brutal. This is because I got all the teachers who are known all around school for being the hardest. I know what I need to do to improve, but I'm not sure if I should enter the IB Diploma Programme for next year. My reasoning for this is that I now know how to succeed in the regular curriculum. After high school I'm going to work towards medical/pharmacy school, and in Canada medicine and pharmacy are both graduate studies. That means I need to get a 4 years bachelors degree beforehand. I was just wondering if it will be worth it to do IB because I think I could get my grades in grade 11/12 high enough for science programs. I have 3 options: I could take the IB Diploma Programme, I could do Partial IB (previously called IB Certificate), or I could stick to the regular BC curriculum for grade 11 and 12. I just need to know what to do. The subjects for partial IB would be:

English HL

Biology HL

Chemistry HL

I am taking these three at HL because science and English are my strengths. I would also be taking physics, math, French, and social studies, but they would be in the regular curriculum. If I went into the IB Diploma Programme I would take:

English HL

History HL or Psychology HL

Biology HL or Chemistry HL

French B SL

Chemistry SL or Sports Exercise, and Health Sciences SL

Math SL 

I would be doing regular curriculum physics also, but I would be taking physics in summer school. I cant take both Chemistry and Biology at HL if I do the DP, sadly my school doesn't offer History at SL. I just need some advice, should I do the IBDP, Partial IB, or stick to the regular curriculum?

Edited by 6ix god

What school do you go to? im in BC in Full IB at Seaquam (north delta)

Grade percentage has little to do with the actual ability to be able to 'Do IB'

i have found that the greatest benefits and pre-reqs that are necessary are

- good time management/prioritizing

- amazing work ethic

- ability to work under stress

- ability to adapt

- likes a challenge

now if you dont have all these thats not aweful, within the first few months of IB my work ethic has changed dramatically, as well as my ability to manage time.

Worst comes to worst, after your first year of full IB (if youre like my school) if it is too much, you can switch back into the regular dogwood curriculum for grade 12

Honestly if you think you can do it GO FOR IT!!!! (Be a risk taker - part of being an IB student)

personally, i wasnt going to do full, then last minute i changed to full

ive met so many students that have regret from only doing certificate and not full, 

since you are interested in sciences, you could take certificate and would do just fine, possibly get a higher mark 

however, universities LOVE ib students (given they dont suck, which most dont) which gives you a one up already

Best case - you do full and have first year off some of your courses

worst case- you do full and maybe dont get credits towards first year but you still have experience which will help you in first year

thats pretty much all i have to say, feel free to ask any more questions

finally someone from seaquam on this forum! I saw that you're taking sports sci from your signature. my question is do you think mr v does a good job teaching it? is sports sci easy/fun?

also should I take history or psych? what have you heard about history because I'm also really confused about that

I'm from Seaquam too! I am thinking of taking Psych HL instead of History because I have heard it is easier and also because I want to pursue a career in medicine and Psychology is more relevant to the sciences than History HL. 

I'm not too nervous or scared about the IB program, but is English HL really as hard as people say? Mr. O teaches it, right?

Guys just DM me, if you know Amanda T we are both here if you guys wanna ask any more questions,

Mr o and moser Teach 11 and Glass 12

I wouldnt necessarily say it is hard, but it is a lot of work

I love it though, it is one of my favourite classes (i hated English grade 8-10 aswell)

If you are in hum it is very different

Overal, its a great prep class for university and you learn A LOT (saying this we have only been in IB for one term)

MR V IS THE BEST!!! he is very passionate about what he is teaching and makes an effort to connect with kids (as long as you are as well) 

The course itself is a lot of memorizing but its not hard (anatomy wise) we do a lot of labs which are fun, its a very practical course (it also gives you a bio 12 credit)

Now Psyc vs History.

personally, we think that psych is a really interesting course ans suggest you take it, unless you are are very passionate about history. Both are hard, seeing as though they are HL, but they are two different types of hard: in history its a lot of memorization and psych is a really different experience then any other course in 8-10 that focuses on application of knowledge as well as memorization. both are really good courses and you do have the option to take both, 

Note* if u take psychology, you need to take Socials 11 to be eligible for your dogwood diploma which there are many options

- summer school (6 week course)

- online (more condensed with Ms. Matthews)

-During the year (in lieu of a spare)

Overall i would suggest taking it in summer school, especially if you are bad with online courses

a lot of students have taken it online during the school year with ms matthews, but a lot have found it challenging to keep up with it along with their other classes

You can also wait and see where you sit with IB diploma after grade 11 (this is if you dont want your Dogwood and only your IB diploma, however it is not uncommon to fail  IB so i would suggest lining up for both diplomas) 

But sooner you get it done, the better and then you dont have to worry about it on top of your IAs and EE 

• 4 months later...

@Megan I ended up choosing English, Chem, Bio and Psych HL and Math and French SL. Yeah, I'm taking socials in the summer just to get it off my mind before IB starts. Haha, I can't help you with any of it but if you ever need to vent or rant I'm here. I'll be going through the same thing for the next two years anyways. Are you planning on taking medicine in college? I am, and it's making me even more worried because there's only a few good medical schools and unis like UBC and McGill want around a 40 score for undergraduate. 

• 2 weeks later...