How different is HL Mandarin and SL Mandarin?

Mandarin B, right? Well, any B language in general follows the same syllabus, it's just the different language itself.

In Language B HL, you're required to read literary texts, whereas in SL that isn't necessary. In HL, you also have to write a second written assignment on one of the literary texts you've read. In SL, there's one written assignment. Of course, there's also the wider range of vocabulary diversity you're exposed to in HL, in which you are expected to utilise in your Paper 2 writing task.

• 4 weeks later...

HL is pretty tough, or so I have been told.

If you are not some kind of background speaker/have good  Manderine background knowledge it will be very tough.

But that being said some man, who is no Asian background in my school become very good at Chinese, during earlier years (before IB start), and he choosing to do HL Chinese.
I do not know how he is doing (in Chinese).

Peace fofo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In HL, you also have to write a second written assignment on one of the literary texts you've read. In SL, there's one written assignment.

Hi!

Just wanted to point out that there is only one WA for HL. In HL you do one WA based on a literary text, which is actually somewhat similar to the written task for SL Lang Lit in that its not a critical, but creative response, e.g adding an extra chapter, writing a diary entry.

In SL, it's based on "intertextual reading" around the core topics, and it's kinda similar to what you'd do in Paper 2? That's how I think of it at least