Was this a good Physics EE Topic?

kevG

Should I have done it?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I have?

• Yes, now live with the regret of not doing something you like
    • No, your previous topic sucked, but hey at least you're done with the EE

My School made me change my EE Topic about 9 times last year, cause they thought most of them were just plain bad and unfeasible. But in the end I did manage to get a topic which I could do on ITGS and I've just finished my essay a few days ago but still, there seems to be some guilt residing in me with this one topic on physics which I really found interesting and wanted to do...

I wanted to find the correlation between the arc length sector of a pebble and the number of skips it did over a body of water; to find the specific degree which held the most number of skips.

The method I was going to approach this topic with was by using a simulation for gathering all the data, and using "Oval Smooth Pebbles" of varying sector lengths (Degrees) from a 2D view. I would treat them as oval-ish pebbles on the simulation but treat them as full on circles from the outside of the pebbles.

So what do you guys think about this topic...? Good? Bad?

My Physics teacher told me to go do something else cause he thought there were going to be way too many variables to handle and have Physics Extended Essays don't score well very often.

Should I have gone with it? I mean the current essay which I did was 'Okay', I had fun in the beginning but in the end it became really technical and just plain boring. I didn't have the drive which I had when I started, when I finished. I thought the Extended Essay was about doing something about your passion and stuff and I feel like I blew it and lost a personal goal I set for myself with IB. I have the same feeling about dropping Math, I liked the subject but I wasn't able to get score I wanted and so chose the easy way out.

Why am I living a life full of regrets?

PS: I added a pole

Edited by gusmanK

I changed my EE 3 months before it was due to the then math IA, without my school asking me. I am not sure when the deadline to change subject is. 

Other people not doing well in Physics EE should never be a reason for you not to write one. 

Yes ideally the EE should be something you are interested in. 

I think the number of variables is not a problem if the simulation is very accurate and takes into consideration of them. How will you get such a simulation? How can you guarantee the physics/math/coding behind it is correct? 

If you do change to this topic be sure to ask your physics teacher or a math teacher about the math terms just to make sure you are describing them properly and accurately.