IB HL Math- To take or not to take?

MCPBHL

Hello everyone.. 

I will be a highschool junior in about 4 days and there is one class that I am really confused about and scared of: HL math. 

I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on whether taking HL math is something i should pursue.

Heres a little about me. 

I think that I am a good student (had a 4.0 in freshman year and 3.87 in my sophomore year.) 

In grade 9 I was placed in advanced geometry and scored a 94.

In grade 10 I was placed in accelerated advanced algebra two (notorious for being difficult in our school) and scored an average of 86. 

On top of IB HL math, Im also taking HL Physics, Chemistry, and Business. Chemistry adheres to my mind quite easily and physics is something that I love learning about (therefore, I have a natural drive to try hard in the class). 

On top of my classes Im a varsity tennis athlete, a club president, and a "CC" musician (basically like varsity music) in our school.

Im dont know if Im putting too much on myself. Im not a very math oriented person, but I really want to be someone thats good at math. 

I appreciate all your advice :)

You do seem to have a lot on your plate, but if you really do want to take HL maths and are certain that you have the motivation to spend a lot of time studying it then I don't see why you shouldn't take it. But if you're worried about burning out, maybe think about whether HL maths is necessary for your future and make your decision after. Also, you can always start with HL maths and if it's too much, you can switch to SL.

By the way, you can be good at maths even if you just take SL. And you can always learn more complicated maths outside school if you want to.

in the beginning of IB1, my math teacher told me to treat HL math like my wife

you need to show attention, care and spend a lot of time with it

too bad i ended up cheating on math with my other subjects... so im dropping it this year cause i found another love of my life

• Like 1

I would highly recommend you not to take HL math, especially when you have all those other stuff on your plate, because it really takes a lot of time and effort to understand all topics studied. You're also dealing with an insane amount of math there, whether it be in physics or business, so you should prioritize your subjects. Take time in choosing what subjects matter to you most; don't do it because it "feels right"  or something like that. 

Personally speaking, I don't have all the honors as you do, but even I wanted to do HL Math, HL Physics, and HL Chemistry at my school, but my IB coordinator said it's basically overkill if you try :P So I took all the subjects but SL Chemistry instead, and I'm doing pretty well after Y1.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...