Does one 5 in Maths HL in a semester ruin the chances for getting into good engineering schools.

Frey Pies

Hey guys, so I have usually been good at maths, but, this semester of junior year, I messed up my maths end-of-year maths exam big-time and ended up with a 5. My overall semester grades are now as follows:

Maths HL- 5

Physics HL- 7

Economics HL - 7

Chemistry SL- 7

Chinese B SL - 6
English Lit SL - 6

Last semester, I had gotten a 6 in Maths. 

I was, however, able to get 800 in Maths 2 and Physics, and a 2270 in the SAT. 

If I want to get into a really good US university for engineering, does this significantly reduce my chances? 

Although I don't know any specifics for the US unis, I will still say no, of course it does not ruin your chances for uni. Since you're only in junior year, I'm quite sure your predicted grades wouldn't be affected too much either. Overall, your grades are really good, and I wouldn't worry too much about one semester slip. If you want to, talk to your teacher, see what are your weakest points, and work a bit on that over the summer. And of course, if you need any help, feel free to PM me or post on the forum. :)

• Like 1

Because admissions are so early for US Colleges, your Junior Year grades will be sent out to colleges (semester one of Senior Year may also be sent out). They will surely see your percentage in Math (if that's a cause for concern) but because you scored well on the SAT Math 2, and because you're doing Math HL, I don't see it as a huge cause for concern. Just keep it up and do well next year! Good luck!

Edited by Devika.

• 3 weeks later...

Going bit off topic here but I do want to comment on applying for a US school for engineering. 

You have very decent or competitive (better than mine) SAT scores! Your marks affect your chances only a little bit, and I am saying this because EVERYONE ELSE applying are also have the approximating marks. Then it is a very difficult decision for the school to say ok you get 2300, you are in; you get 2290 you are out ... no matter where the school draws the line, it would be very arbitrary, and that there is some level of luck in the SATs. 

So what's more important is to really make your entrance essays shine and bring out your passions and dedication and creativity. It may help to score high in some American math/physics competitions, such as, AMC 12 (there is a great chance the school skill accept them if you do it in February 2016 and send scores to the schools immediately). I would also suggest the AAPT PhysicsBowl except that it may be too late if you didn't take it yet. These are more valuable indicators to sort out exceptional students from the good, than say the SAT Math II or even AP Calc AB and BC.

• Like 1