Math studies and studying in USA

Sandyyyyyyy

I would like to ask if I'm currently doing math studies in IB and English is my second language.  I will be taking exam in 2016. My grade is predicted 5 or 6 but I think I try to push myself more in order to get a 7. Is there any chances for me to study Business and management in the US. Specifically, which universities do accept math studies?

Well, I disagree a little with ellie. Most US universities do recognize it, at least in the sense that they know what it is and are prepared to give you credit for it. The American college system doesn't work like much of the rest of the world - you don't really already need to have taken classes as prerequisites to what you want to study. So, you can take Math Studies and I don't think the US colleges will care too much (though admissions look to see that you're trying to take the hardest classes available to you. It's a complicated process). 

In short, ellie is, in practical terms, correct. But at the highest levels of universities, you might find that some will choose other candidates with harder classes than yours if you choose math studies.

• Like 2

I would like to ask if I'm currently doing math studies in IB and English is my second language.  I will be taking exam in 2016. My grade is predicted 5 or 6 but I think I try to push myself more in order to get a 7. Is there any chances for me to study Business and management in the US. Specifically, which universities do accept math studies?

Yes they do. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. However Math SL/HL is looked upon in more highly in this regard.

Well, I disagree a little with ellie. Most US universities do recognize it, at least in the sense that they know what it is and are prepared to give you credit for it. The American college system doesn't work like much of the rest of the world - you don't really already need to have taken classes as prerequisites to what you want to study. So, you can take Math Studies and I don't think the US colleges will care too much (though admissions look to see that you're trying to take the hardest classes available to you. It's a complicated process). 

In short, ellie is, in practical terms, correct. But at the highest levels of universities, you might find that some will choose other candidates with harder classes than yours if you choose math studies.

I think I was a bit unclear -- by 'recognise', I meant that you don't get in by your IB results to most schools, you have to take the SAT or ACT. UK universities, for example, (almost) always state if they don't accept Studies for a certain program, but I haven't seen that once on US universities' admission requirements. 

Like Thrashmaster correctly explained above, the American system is unlike any other: you do not require prerequisite subjects. However, it is preferred that you do take the classes that would me more related to the course you'd want to take as to encounter less difficulty with the assumed knowledge that the course you get into already has.