[Non-native English speakers] Is it worth relying on transfer credit?

Aquarius

Okay, after looking around some universities in the States and Canada, credits for a specific score HL subjects are really common.

However, do you think it's a good idea to accept it or just start all over again? Considering English is not my native language and I've studied English for only 5 years frankly...

I can't really understand your question, would help if you explain your question further.

Don't use the lazy excuse of not being a native English speaker. You've studied it for 5 years, I know people who only studied it for 3 and are now in full time degree courses. Your English seems fine to me, and once you start uni, your English will improve automatically.

I'm in a pre-med program in university and my HL courses for IB were chemistry, english and economics. I chose to take transfer credits for english and economics since I don't plan on taking them again in university, but not for chemistry because I didn't want to skip first year chemistry since there is some content in the course that I haven't learned yet.

I can't really understand your question, would help if you explain your question further.

Don't use the lazy excuse of not being a native English speaker. You've studied it for 5 years, I know people who only studied it for 3 and are now in full time degree courses. Your English seems fine to me, and once you start uni, your English will improve automatically.

I mean I am not confident with my English, therefore I am considering to start all the modules over again at university.

By the way, 3 or 5 years really depend on what is your origin. If you are European (especially Spanish or French), then fine, not too many efforts except pronunciation. However, I wonder if you know how difficult for Chinese or Japanese to learn and speak decent English.

I'm in a pre-med program in university and my HL courses for IB were chemistry, english and economics. I chose to take transfer credits for english and economics since I don't plan on taking them again in university, but not for chemistry because I didn't want to skip first year chemistry since there is some content in the course that I haven't learned yet.

Thanks for the reply.

So your advice is to look carefully at the content, right?

But will the time of graduation get shorter? Or We'll just have some free days not going to lectures?

I mean I am not confident with my English, therefore I am considering to start all the modules over again at university.

By the way, 3 or 5 years really depend on what is your origin. If you are European (especially Spanish or French), then fine, not too many efforts except pronunciation. However, I wonder if you know how difficult for Chinese or Japanese to learn and speak decent English.

If you're not confident in 5 years, then I wonder what would you do to make yourself confident. May I ask what English level did you take / are taking at IB?

FYI, the two people that I referred to were Korean. I know a Taiwanese student who went to the US as well, and that was after 3 years. Another Indonesian student, that however might be easier since they use the Roman script, who went to the US too.

Universities will give you support for English should you need it.

Edited by Aboo

If you're not confident in 5 years, then I wonder what would you do to make yourself confident. May I ask what English level did you take / are taking at IB?

FYI, the two people that I referred to were Korean. I know a Taiwanese student who went to the US as well, and that was after 3 years. Another Indonesian student, that however might be easier since they use the Roman script, who went to the US too.

Universities will give you support for English should you need it.

I'm taking English B HL, it suits people like me. For me, the past 5 years were not devoted for learning everything in English. From the beginning, I did French until Grade 7, then I switched into English as a second language but everything else in school I had done was in Vietnamese (i.e studying 11 subjects in a year inc. English which is only 3 periods per week). Recently I've transferred to an international school to do IB. Now I think you know my case fully!

English supports from universities are obviously great, but these would be some ordinary classes learning English. It's not like you'll have a person who go to lectures with you and explain what you don't understand. Moreover, decent universities aren't common for opening English support classes.

Your English sounds fine to me. What are you worried about exactly?

However, I wonder if you know how difficult for Chinese or Japanese to learn and speak decent English.

It's difficult but you can do it, and you did it! FYI, a friend who hasn't been here for that long (:P years, I'd reckon) speaks lovely, colloquial English - including profanity - just like a native speaker.

It's not like you'll have a person who go to lectures with you and explain what you don't understand.

Surely, you could get a friend to explain after class? I know I've been approached to translate before.

Edited by moneyfaery

i understand that you really wanna cover your bases and make sure you don't lag behind..

but then, as well as self confidence, i reckon it helps a lot to be in a class that is a bit challenging for you.

that way you are, even subconsciously, pressured (not in the bad way) into improving in a much faster pace.

plus don't stereotype asians as having problems with english.

in any case, i reckon ANYBODY could have problems with perfecting a language..

Nếu em học IB mà thấy theo được thì sẽ chẳng có vấn đề gì với uni đâu. Với cả trong 2 năm IB thế nào tiếng Anh của em cũng sẽ phải improve. No star where :) , đừng lo xa quá em ạ. :)

Mà cũng còn tùy là credit offer là của môn nào nữa. Em định học Econ đúng không? Với những subject của em mà được credit thì cũng là credit cho những môn không liên quan tới chuyên ngành thôi, chứ sẽ không được credit cho Econ đúng không. Thế thì chị nghĩ nếu được offer credit thì cứ accept chứ học lại những thứ không liên quan tới cái ngành chuyên của mình làm gì. Also, if the uni gives you credit, it would save you money if it means you can skip a year. Besides, retaking those things you've already learnt in IB wouldn't really help improve your English, unless they're English-language classes. If you want to not take the credit offers then it's really up to you but you'd be relearning IB stuff which won't really be interesting, it might just makes thing really boring for you.

Oh and I thought you prefered England? If that is the case it doesn't really matter as England doesn't really offer credit for IB.

Oh and if there's one thing I learnt in uni, it's that lecturers/professors/people teaching at university loves having students come and ask them on things they don't understand in class materials! Most students are intimidated by the idea of going and ask for help but they're usually really nice about and if they're decent at what they do, they really do help you a lot.

It's difficult but you can do it, and you did it! FYI, a friend who hasn't been here for that long (:P years, I'd reckon) speaks lovely, colloquial English - including profanity - just like a native speaker.

Haha people always learn to swear in a language better than they speak it. :P My expat friends from high school can swear in Vietnamese better than I can. :P

I'm taking English B HL, it suits people like me. For me, the past 5 years were not devoted for learning everything in English. From the beginning, I did French until Grade 7, then I switched into English as a second language but everything else in school I had done was in Vietnamese (i.e studying 11 subjects in a year inc. English which is only 3 periods per week). Recently I've transferred to an international school to do IB. Now I think you know my case fully!

English supports from universities are obviously great, but these would be some ordinary classes learning English. It's not like you'll have a person who go to lectures with you and explain what you don't understand. Moreover, decent universities aren't common for opening English support classes.

You're doing the IB in English so that shows that you have the capability to go onwards to university.

If you're going to uni in America, then you can choose to complete your general education credits in English.

I don't know what is your intended focus of study, but if you're doing thee sciences or maths, then it's fine as you do not need to express yourself as much as say a course in English Literature. You will have textbooks to refer to, and some unis offer each unit's class transcript online, so if you feel you did not understand something: a. look at the text, b. look at the course online or c. ask your professor if the rest fails. I'm sure they always like keen students.

Don't be afraid of your English capabilities, the way you're posting, you'll do great.

You sound like Palin, BURN!

Aquarius, if you get credits for your IBS I suggest taking them, since courses at Uni cost money =p and the less you need to take the less it will cost you!

Most Unis have English language development centers, well mine does, which help you in essay writing and other such skills you'll need to learn for Uni. I suggest checking that out at the Unis you apply to if you're that not confident. Also get a voice recorder for you lectures and go over them later to make sure you understand everything and this will help you improve your English as well... I don't think actual English classes benefit as much as practicing the language anyway...

and yea if you're thinking of going to the UK you don't get credits anyway :P so no dilemma

you english seems good to me so far.

the funny thing is i understand how you feel to an extent. although english is my first language i have been learning spanish for 4 years now(i did spanish B SL), and now i am in uni in the states taking spansih again (i iused transfer credit to get further ahead in the classes). i was terrified because the course was taught in spanish and there is no english allowed, and i have only ever taken classes that were taught in my first language. i though i woulsdn't be able to understand it at all once the class began, but if you are forced to use the language you ppick it up quickly. after 3 weeks of classes (i have lecture twice a week for this class) i can have already nopticed that my listening skills have improved greatly. being forced into the language will force you to pick it up. and in the states most profesors are requiered to hold office hours where you can go in and talk to them about what they were talking about in lecture and to ask the m for extra help. you could alwys go in and say i had a hard time understanding what you said in class the other day cold you explain in once more. and bing in the states i am sure you could find someone who speaks your native language, and had a little extra time to help you out. there are a lot of resources avaliable on campus that you can use to your advantage. just cheack out the school you are interested in, and see what resources they will have avaliable to you.

Thanks for the reply.

So your advice is to look carefully at the content, right?

But will the time of graduation get shorter? Or We'll just have some free days not going to lectures?

If you're planning take english in university, then don't take the transfer credits. If you don't, however, then just take the credits.

I got 12 units for economics and english, and my program requires 120 units to graduate. It means that I could lighten my course load if I wished to (instead of taking 5 courses/semester, I can take less).