Hi everyone, this is my first time writing in IBSurvival.

I'm currently in second year of IB, taking the November 2015 exam.

I did my HL maths exploration on geometry, specifically on various properties of ellipse and applying it to real life situation, but I just got my first draft for my maths exploration back, and I got 10/20................................................... even though I used really complex and rigorous mathematics.

My teacher told me I didn't get mark because I didn't explain my maths clearly but more importantly, I didn't get any mark for personal engagement, and I was ofc like what the heck.......................... and he said if I can't come up with solution for personal engagement by next Monday, I will need to CHANGE MY TOPIC.

Btw, my teacher is a really harsh maker, because in other classes, they all got 13+ and some got up to 18, and I've been getting 90%+ for my school test throughout whole IB.

I still don't understand, what do they exactly mean by personal engagement? I don't think it's just saying "i did this, I did that", and my maths teacher said I need to come up with my OWN maths. Is there any way to improve it?

Maybe you can apply the maths to a real life situation that is relevant to you? If the entire thing is abstract, with no ties to you or no new approaches, it'll score badly on personal engagement as you've found out. But that's something that you can definitely change! 

• Like 1