What computer do you guys use for school?

SilkOrganic

I use a MacBook Pro 13 in. with Retina. It's really great for doing everyday stuff, but probably not if you're really into computers/coding/gaming (you get what I mean).

If you're on a tight budget, then get a second hand one from Apple. They tend to be in pretty good shape and are much, much cheaper.

Mine has 256 GB (double of my last MacBook Air) and I think it has more than enough space (as long as you don't keep random crap in your laptop and regularly use applications like Dr. Cleaner).

On the topic of Windows vs. iOS, it is true that Macs will go much slower with the Windows program, but there are applications (like Wine/WineBottler) that will let you use Windows applications without turning your whole Mac into a Windows laptop.

Macs are also super useful if you have an iPhone/iPad (had an iPhone before I got my Mac. It was a pretty big decision making factor).

I just have one of the HP pavilion 15s, can't remember which one though. I think it's a great laptop at least for my needs. I've had it for over a year and it still works good as new. The battery lasts a whole day at school still and it's not at all laggy or anything. I don't know what you guys do with your laptops, but I'd say that as an IB student you don't need a ridiculously expensive computer because the average work just as well. 

Aside from HP computers, I recommend Lenovo as well. I think they even have a reputation of being good laptops for students and they're not expensive either if I remember right. This is just my personal opinion, but I think macbooks are way overrated and not to mention overpriced. You can get better laptops for less than the price of a mac.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought this was more of a current topic and didn't check the dates until I posted.

Please show me where you find a laptop cheaper than a macbook that would be better, I am curious! :D

Well, I'm no computer expert, but I've heard that the Dell XPS 13 is better than a Macbook at least. I checked and it's a couple hundred less expensive than a Mac, though the touchscreen version is the same price as a Mac.

I just have one of the HP pavilion 15s, can't remember which one though. I think it's a great laptop at least for my needs. I've had it for over a year and it still works good as new. The battery lasts a whole day at school still and it's not at all laggy or anything. I don't know what you guys do with your laptops, but I'd say that as an IB student you don't need a ridiculously expensive computer because the average work just as well. 

Aside from HP computers, I recommend Lenovo as well. I think they even have a reputation of being good laptops for students and they're not expensive either if I remember right. This is just my personal opinion, but I think macbooks are way overrated and not to mention overpriced. You can get better laptops for less than the price of a mac.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought this was more of a current topic and didn't check the dates until I posted.

Please show me where you find a laptop cheaper than a macbook that would be better, I am curious! :D

Well, I'm no computer expert, but I've heard that the Dell XPS 13 is better than a Macbook at least. I checked and it's a couple hundred less expensive than a Mac, though the touchscreen version is the same price as a Mac.

It is indeed 200-300 euros cheaper and a very good laptop. However, it runs windows 8.1 which I find very ugly thus I do not find it nearly as good as a mac. Of course, upgrading to Windows 10 is free, but I have not tried that yet. But for those who have the money to buy a XPS 13, it is absolutely a good choice :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When looking for laptops, do alot of research on which laptop to buy. It's up to your preference, but I like Toshiba laptops because I like how they work and it is within my budget. Also, go into depth on how good each aspect of the product is. For example, some i5 processors are actually better than certain i7 models. Also look at its wifi connectivity capabilities. One of the main factors influencing how fast your Internet will be. And as for now, try to avoid Windows 10 laptops as there a few problems with the operating system. Wait till Microsoft issues an update to deal with these problems.

Hello, I am use a "Toshiba Satellite" laptop, it is very good, made in Japan, best technology country.
Not buy from school, my father buy for me because stupid school "acer" computer break after 1 day...

Toshiba best :)
Specs:

Razor Naga

Razor Deathstalker Chroma

Intel© CoreTM i7 Quad-Core Processor

NVIDIA GeForce

16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L memory (516G solid state storage)

3200 X 1800 QHD+Display

:typing:  :gamer:  :blowup:  :blowup:  :boss:

Peace fofo.