IGCSE Requirements in Universities?

catbug

Hi all. I've been looking at universities around the UK and looking at the requirements. Naturally, since I'm international student, I will be taking the IB. But some universities look at the GCSEs, so how much do you think GCSE scores will affect your chances of getting into a good uni in the UK? 

If it is looked at harshly, I'm a bit worried about my math GCSE. I took Mathematics Extended and came out with an A, and was put into an Additional Mathematics GCSE. I'm worried my score for the Additional Mathematics- which will probably end up being C- will effect my chance of getting in. How would universities look at an A in Extended and C in Additional? 

• 1 month later...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think once you've done your IB/A-levels, this is the main qualification taken into consideration so you don't need to worry about your GCSEs.

Slovakov is correct. Your higher secondary scores count for more and they seldom make decisions based on IGCSE results. It is also true that they look through these results, but it is for administrative purpose and for checking academic background ( This does not mean that a bad grade in one IGCSE subject will ruin your admission chances).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I've been looking at universities around the UK and looking at the requirements. Naturally, since I'm international student, I will be taking the IB. But some universities look at the GCSEs, so how much do you think GCSE scores will affect your chances of getting into a good uni in the UK? 

If it is looked at harshly, I'm a bit worried about my math GCSE. I took Mathematics Extended and came out with an A, and was put into an Additional Mathematics GCSE. I'm worried my score for the Additional Mathematics- which will probably end up being C- will effect my chance of getting in. How would universities look at an A in Extended and C in Additional? 

Unless you're looking to do a Maths intensive course, if you have A in Extended then I doubt they'll even look twice at the Additional Mathematics C since they normally ask for at least a C in GCSE Maths. But as Slovakov said, the main thing they'll look at is your IB score so you shouldn't worry much about GCSEs.