Help in choosing the right subjects.

TDgen47@IB

Hello,

I am going to start of with the IBDP in less than 6 months and I need some suggestions, opinions, and advice regarding my subject selection.

I am interested in science and math. I loathe history and geography (no offence to ppl who like it). The commercial world too fascinates me. Kind of an odd combination but that's just me.

I am selecting my subjects based on what I would like to study in the future (university). I am not sure if I want to pursue medicine or engineering. I want to keep both these options open. Based on this, here is my current subject selection:

Math HL

Chem HL

Physics / Biology HL

Eng lit SL

Economics SL ( I would have taken it at HL but my school Does not offer it)

Danish B SL

I know the workload is too much but I think I am going to have to do it this way because I am not particularly good in the languages and there is no Eco HL which would have been a blessing,

I know I need PCM (physics Chem math) for engineering and Chem for Medicine but I don't know if I will compulsorily need bio for medicine in maybe USA or Australia.

Bit of a twisted situation here...any help would be greatly appreciated.

You definitely don't need IB biology for medicine in the US - its a graduate program so the IB subjects you choose are of no relevance. With that being said, you will need to take a set of required classes (when you're in college) which include biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, psychology etc to get into medical school - so you'll benefit from taking physics as it a required pre-med class. Plus, it's probably easier to learn biology at college level without doing IB biology than starting college level physics without any previous knowledge of physics . But I recommend you take physics so that if you decide to study engineering you won't be disadvantaged.  

*Do note that the introductory classes are part of the required med school classes - intro classes start from scratch so in essence you could pick which ever science (s) you want in IB and pick the other up at college without finding it too difficult. 

Check the entry requirements of the Australian universities you're interested in before you make a decision. And in case you are considering the UK, some accept maths HL and/or physics HL in lieu of biology HL (but chemistry is definitely required) so in that case if you aren't interested in any universities that accept  physics or maths instead of biology, take physics as you won't get into engineering without physics HL. 

Edited by Pink97
  • Like 1