Math HL?

One1

Hello,

I am currently in 10th grade and in the past week we had to get recommendations from our teachers for the IB program next year. I wanted to take HL mathematics as I am currently in Standard High Level. The Highest class at my school is Extended Mathematics. After none of the other students in my class (including me) got an HL recommendation, I was wondering if I should take it HL next year because I heard it was much tougher than SL.

This was my first year in the IB and they learned some subjects that I have not learned in my previous country, which got me a 2/8 on my first test. But after I went home and studied and got 8/8 on the following test. Ok so anyways, math interests me alot, I got relatively good grades for the rest of the year in mathematics: one 8s two 7s one 6s. I was wondering if this would be enough to survive HL mathematics next year? Because all my friends told me it would ruin me :P

Thank you. 

• 5 months later...

Personally, I had a very weak background in mathematics before the IB, but since I enjoyed mathematics I decided to take HL. Now, because of consistent, hard work, I have been predicted at a 7 in Maths HL. It honestly isn't very hard if you are willing to put in the work. Personally, I practice for 2-4 hours a week depending on things like upcoming assignments, tests, etc in other classes.

I'm in HL Math right now. Personally, I like challenges so that's why I did HL Math. Although I'm struggling in the class, my teacher said that he's pretty sure that I can do well. It's just a lot of work and you should have intrinsic motivation. (I'm taking HL math class, but I might end up taking the SL Math exam).