Written Assignment

ibprincess

hi!

I'm a bit confused about the written assignment and my teacher has no clue so no matter how much i email him i'm not getting a helpful answer other than being told to "read the guide"

questions (I'm sorry i feel like these questions are really dumb but you don't understand my teacher has never taught ib and he has no clue about anything we're doing)

1. how are we expected to quote things? my understanding from before i did ib was short phrases go in text and passages more than 3 (?) lines go in an indented thing in the middle of the passage?

Like this except about 3 + lines 

And if we do use quotations like this, do they count for the word count? because

if i'm quoting a 100 word passage i don't want that eating my word count? Would

it be possible to refer to something as passage 1 or the passage about XYZ 

and footnote the passage we're referring to so i doesn't eat the word count?

and when we quote, are we meant to cite the novel or is it just given that if we're quoting a passage from the book its obviously from the novel?

also should we include page numbers???

2. also are we supposed to have sources other than the book? like are we meant to read articles about the text and then make conclusions  from them or are we meant to just base the whole essay on our own ideas?

3.  we don't need headings etc right?

any help is insanely appreciated <3

I'll try to answer your questions ^_^

1. Yes, every quote counts for the word count. What I tend to hear is that you should avoid using quotes that are terribly long, like over three lines, and paraphrase instead. Otherwise, you'll just sound like you don't have any ideas of your own as you're quoting the author. 

When quoting, you should always cite the source with page number included - in footnotes or in text depending on what system you're using. 

2. You don't have to, but you can if you want to. If you want to use some information that you've read online, for example, you would put that as a source. 

3. Nope :P

• Like 2

Just to clarify, do you mean written task?

If yea, then here goes.

1)If its the creative written task, there could be quoting if your writing like a blog or something. Usual in quotes, cited blablabla, IB plagiarism lecture there.

2)You could, but depends on what your writing, because like a story wont have quotes right. so that depends on what your writing.

3) no headings are needed.

I hope I answered the right thing (and it helped), if not, I apologise for wasting your time

• Like 1

Just to clarify, do you mean written task?

If yea, then here goes.

1)If its the creative written task, there could be quoting if your writing like a blog or something. Usual in quotes, cited blablabla, IB plagiarism lecture there.

2)You could, but depends on what your writing, because like a story wont have quotes right. so that depends on what your writing.

3) no headings are needed.

I hope I answered the right thing (and it helped), if not, I apologise for wasting your time

no definitely the written assignment! it's an essay so its not a creative task lol? I dont think we're on the same page but  thank you all the same!

I'll try to answer your questions ^_^

thank you lovely!!