Does it get any easier in university after doing IB?

djshah

i go to uni n the US, don't ask which school coz i promise you have prolly never heared of it. this is my first semester. i am a maketing major with a minor in spanish. although i havn't gotten into my mojor classes and i am almost done with my minor. it has been easier than IB so far. there isn't as much work, and the reading have been much easier, and the vocabulary that i am learnng has been much more practiacal. as for my general education courses thery are all "critical thinking is how you have to work now" but that is all i had to do in IB, so it is no change just simpler subject matter. iwill have to get back to once i get into my major corses.

How can it possibly get easier? Tertiary education, or post-secondary, or higher education what ever you want to call it, is bound to get harder. IB is just an intensive secondary learning programme which makes it seem more difficult that what it actually is.

University is bound to be harder.

It does not get easier. Let me repeat, it does not get easier! Whoever told you after doing IB university is going to be a walk in the park is delusional! Ok, sure, you might get a bit of a break in the first semester when everyone else has to learn how to reference and research and think critically and whatnot, but it does not stay that way!! Quite frankly, when you get to university, especially if it's a good university, everyone around you will be smart and capable, that's how they got into university in the first place and you're going to have to compete with them! I hate to tell you this, but IB only goes as far as to help you get into university and maybe get through the first term, but after that, you're on the same level as everyone else! Imagine, in university, you would be learning the same amount of material you would learn in an IB subject in about half the time! so it doesn't matter what you did in IB, IB won't really make any of those stuff you'll have to learn any easier because the point of tertiary education is to challenge yourself. If you're having an easy time at university, quite frankly, you're wasting your money. :)

I have two friends that graduated from IB two years ago, and are now in university. One of them, my friend's brother, does not have a lot of homework, rarely does any work as he got advance placement in a bunch of his classes because of IB. The other, who is going for a degree in International Relations, tells me that IB over-prepared him for university. He says he has a lot of spare time, and he already knows how to time-manage, and IB covered a bunch of his first year courses already so he barely has to do any work.

That's what I have been told from people that have graduated from IB and are in university.

I'm talking about later years at university, not just the first year. Do you really think after the first year you'd have an advantage over everyone else in terms of stress management and whatever? I mean, by that time, a lot of the 'better' people at uni would have caught up with you on that, no matter what. And you can't go on relearning IB stuff for the rest of your uni years (if you are...why the hell are you wasting your money?) so yes it's bound to get harder.

IB will help you have an easier time adjusting to uni and perhaps uni then will be easier than it would be without IB. But that doesn't mean that uni is easier than IB.

I guess I have to agree with HMS because it makes sense that you need to be challenged otherwise education is pointless. Ah well I will expect the worst in Uni. Better to expect the worst rather thinkin its easy. Besides anything for the first time can never be easy.

The problem is that we see this benefit in the long run. But in the short-run you just wanna kick back and relax. lol.

Hi guys... I searched IB survival for such a topic but couldnt find it. So I wanted to know from people who are in university and finished IB whether its easier. Or does it depend on university and course... I plan on taking economics. Is it easier? Thanks.

a few of my friends are in university already, and none of them told me it's easier...during their first year, they said it was the same, it got harder in second and third, espeiclaly if you are doing something like chemistry or physics, it's really tough

IB doesn't make university easier, it just makes the TRANSITION easier, so you won't get a big wake up call when you get in because the workload are around the same, the assingments you do are no just worksheets, but more like world lits and extended essays

ok after reading all these, i'm a bit confused, because i asked people who graduated from my schools IB who are in uni now how it is, and they say it's tough but manageable... i would think you're better prepared for uni after doing IB, instead of A-Levels or something..

:) im wondering myself how i'm going to last another year!

ok after reading all these, i'm a bit confused, because i asked people who graduated from my schools IB who are in uni now how it is, and they say it's tough but manageable... i would think you're better prepared for uni after doing IB, instead of A-Levels or something..

:) im wondering myself how i'm going to last another year!

It depends on you as a person. If they were kids with few extra-curriculars and not the greatest marks, then university would be definitely harder for them than kids with tons of extra-curriculars and great marks. It just depends on the person.

It depends on you as a person. If they were kids with few extra-curriculars and not the greatest marks, then university would be definitely harder for them than kids with tons of extra-curriculars and great marks. It just depends on the person.

i agree. i was decent grades with lots of extra-curriculars, and collge so far has been quite easy. i have a lighter work load wthat i did with IB, buti am also only in my first semester. i expect once i get into my major classes it will be more difficult. but my classes for my minor are ok. they are easer than IB but i am still adjusting to the new teaching style.

Look I'm not saying uni is unbearable. Yes, IB does make uni less hard than it would otherwise be without IB. But that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. You need to expect a challenge at uni, you need to realise that there will be things you find difficult at uni. You can't take for granted that just because you have IB you can slack off. Of course it's manageable. Did I say it wasn't? But that doesn't mean the stress and challenge isn't there.

Look I'm not saying uni is unbearable. Yes, IB does make uni less hard than it would otherwise be without IB. But that doesn't mean it's a walk in the park. You need to expect a challenge at uni, you need to realise that there will be things you find difficult at uni. You can't take for granted that just because you have IB you can slack off. Of course it's manageable. Did I say it wasn't? But that doesn't mean the stress and challenge isn't there.

Don't waste your breath (or characters? :P ) on people who can't understand the common sense that tertiary education is harder.

It should be generally drilled into people's heads that Primary > Secondary > Tertiary and that's how the level of difficulty increases.

I have no personal experience. However, my mother who teaches at a university, ranging from people who have been there for 1 or 2 years to those doing their doctoral thesis, has said to me that she finds ex-IB students better. But then again, I don't know if it makes it easier for them in the end.