Oxford doesn't accept ITGS and business&management?

breezeeblock

Hi breezeeblock, and where exactly did you hear that from? That's pure bullocks. Who said ITGS and Business, etc. is easy in the first place? It's actually worth noting that ITGS, for one, is one of the most underestimated subjects in terms of difficulty, and the percentage of getting a 7 in that is extremely low, lower than that of other subjects.
As for Business and DT, these are highly esteemed subjects as well.
Of course, it depends on the course you're looking to go into and what subjects are considered relevant or not. So you're basically saying Oxford doesn't accredit Business Management for a Business or finance course?

• Like 3

honestly that just sounds incredibly stupid and naive? all the subjects you listed are not dramatically easier than other subjects and some of them are actually harder than other subjects? like ITGS is actually quite difficult, economics is preferred to B&M but that doesn't make it a worse course, DT, as Abdullah Naji, is a highly esteemed subject and theatre and VA are easy to do averagely in but very difficult to do well in? 

In the purest sense, that's untrue. You won't be disqualified from attending by virtue of having taken up any of those subjects. 

That being said, I think there is/was a thread on the forum about subjects considered 'soft' by UK universities; and I'm next to certain all the subjects you listed are there. Furthermore, I have seen a document on the net by Cambridge that lists 'soft' subjects. Although that applies to A level subjects specifically, given that IB=A levels in UK universities' opinions means it probably holds at least some credence.

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll be rejected for the sole reason that you take those subjects; but more likely it works against you if they have to choose between you and an applicant with the same grades in "tougher" subjects (natural sciences, math HL, economics etc). I wouldn't know the exact details though; I suspect sending them a mail to clarify things would yield the most accurate finding. 

Honestly don't let that govern your subject choice; just take what you'll enjoy because if you find the subject disinteresting it'll take a Herculean effort to work at that subject. I know this from my own experience with Economics HL. :( 

If you have to take a subject you don't enjoy, at least make sure it involves very little work. :P 

• Like 5

Hey guys,

I heard that Oxford doesn't accept people who have ITGS, Business&Management, Design Technology, Theatre, Visual Arts, etc. because they are way too easy and even if you got 45/45 points and 777 at HL you won't be accepted. Is that true?

The thing with Oxford is that they're looking for reasons to say no. 

While realistically, the subjects you mentioned might be hard (music HL was my most tedious HL), in terms of traditional academic subjects, the fact remains that Oxford is an ancient institution teaching traditionally academic courses and want to see traditionally academic subjects. 

If you go to Trinity College's (Cambridge) webpage, you'll see they have published a list of what subjects they recommend you take. However, I suspect Camb puts a bit more of an emphasis on this than Oxford. 

Here's the thing though - both oxford and camb want to attract the smartest people. Your A level in further mathematics means absolutely nothing in the way of actual preparation for a math degree at oxford, but it is an indication that you have some aptitude for math. Hence, if you are able to show them you are really, really smart and are suited for your chosen course, you could get in with HL Film, ITGS and Physical studies (?). 

How do you do this? Entrance test and interview. Especially with oxford, which requires an entrance test for almost every course. You can google this for yourself. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The official policy on this from Oxbridge is that they will not discredit students for taking "soft subjects", but when a "soft" student comes up against one who takes "hard" (traditionally academic subjects), chances are they will go for the latter student.

Why? Imo this is because most if not all Oxbridge degrees are purely academic in nature, and no matter what degree it's going to take a lot of reading, writing and research. Hard (does not mean difficult, merely extensive-reading-and-writing) subjects tend to show a student's capability of digesting research journals and articles, as well as critically analysing issues in essays (such as English Literature, Economics, History etc) which are all essential skills that are needed to perform well at Oxbridge. Hence taking a more "practical" subject that have perhaps 50% of the grade given to practical projects (like Theatre, Visual Arts, Music) may look less favourable in terms of skills learnt that will prepare you for Oxbridge, even though the projects ARE as (or more) difficult than writing long essays. Unless, of course, you're taking Music HL and looking at a Music degree from Oxbridge.

On the other hand, other universities tend to offer more vocational/applied degrees, and so they do not mind students not having those skills that much as long as they are well-rounded applicants. 

Yeah, while subjects like theater may seem 'less serious' than some of the other subjects offered by the IBO, they are still offered by the IBO. This already makes them worth something. IB is an internationally esteemed program, so while in general, subjects like theater might be discouraged by Unis (if you are applying to the sciences), they are still respectable classes. If you can get a 45 on your IB I don't think there will be any school that wont take you :D

• 5 months later...

Hi breezeeblock, and where exactly did you hear that from? That's pure bullocks. Who said ITGS and Business, etc. is easy in the first place? It's actually worth noting that ITGS, for one, is one of the most underestimated subjects in terms of difficulty, and the percentage of getting a 7 in that is extremely low, lower than that of other subjects.

As for Business and DT, these are highly esteemed subjects as well.

Of course, it depends on the course you're looking to go into and what subjects are considered relevant or not. So you're basically saying Oxford doesn't accredit Business Management for a Business or finance course?

Common myth - really not true. There is nothing easy about these subjects and universities don't just disregard things you've studied. They may stipulate preferences for things you should study before joining, but it's not like they can pretend that an entire subject you studied was a waste and taught you nothing!