The IB Culture

starz41

I have to do an assignment in my Inguiry Skills class on the IB culture.

What are some:

Material Cultures (What we use)

Sense of self and space (closeness)

Communication and Language (how we communicate i guess)

Dress and appearance (what we wear, how we look)

Food and eating habits

Relationships (with peers, teachers)

Values and Norms

Beliefs and attitudes

Mental processes and learning

Work habits and practices

Any would be much appreciated.

Thanks! 8-)

Material cultures: GDC (!), computer, internet, food, writing utensils, paper, water

Sense of self and space: need enough space to do work

Communication and language: geekspeak? (a friend said my vocab hurt his brain; that was funny)

Dress and appearance: quite varied, surprisingly

Food and eating habits: caffeine, high-sugar content foods, water?

Relationships: good/close relationships with other IB students due to stress (as a result of procrastination)

Values and norms: must do work?!?!?, sleep is for the weak

Beliefs and attitudes: IB is stressful/I hate IB/I love talking about how stressful IB is/I still hate IB

Mental processes and learning: undecipherable

Work habits and practices: refer to The Law of Procrastination

Material cultures: GDC (!), computer, internet, food, writing utensils, paper, water

Sense of self and space: need enough space to do work

Communication and language: geekspeak? (a friend said my vocab hurt his brain; that was funny)

Dress and appearance: quite varied, surprisingly

Food and eating habits: caffeine, high-sugar content foods, water?

Relationships: good/close relationships with other IB students due to stress (as a result of procrastination)

Values and norms: must do work?!?!?, sleep is for the weak

Beliefs and attitudes: IB is stressful/I hate IB/I love talking about how stressful IB is/I still hate IB

Mental processes and learning: undecipherable

Work habits and practices: refer to The Law of Procrastination

whats GDC?

that was pretty useful, thanks.

anyone else know any?

Edited by starz41

Hope this helps, if not, please don't bother 8-)

Material Cultures: GDC, Textbooks, Notebooks, Stationary, Internet, Laptop.

Sense of self and space: Modest.

Communication and Language: Mostly informal English

Dress and appearance: School Uniform + PE KIT :P

Food and eating habits: 3 meals a day and sometimes 4 (if extremely starving!).

Relationships: Act like adults!

Values and Norms: Free-time

Beliefs and attitudes: OK so far, but believe needs to think about commit suicide at least once in the future.

Mental processes and learning: Absolutely decent :P

Work habits and practices: Usually procrastinate!

Material Cultures: GDC, Textbooks, I.B. course guides, internet, large book bags.

Sense of self and space: Alone time throughout the day is necessary for regrouping, and most people stick to their own space for class work.

Communication and Language Informal English with some four to five syllable words thrown in for dramatic impact. 8-)

Dress and appearance: Stylish, lots of "librarian chic" style going on. Especially on test days. Class motto: "If we go down, we're going to go down looking good.

Food and eating habits: No breakfast, rushed lunches, lots of munching in the evening.

Relationships: Very close bonds between students and teachers, tense between students because we're around eachother so often and the classes are so small that we know everyone else's annoying nuances.

Values and Norms: Everybody is really competitive and assignments are taken really serious, but week-end evenings are reserved for rowdy let loose time.

Beliefs and attitudes: "We're all masochists."

Mental processes and learning: Not too shabby, a lot of over analyzing and panicking.

Work habits and practices: Lots of procrastination and then heavy duty cram sessions.

• 1 year later...

Material Cultures: Lots of post-its, lots of internet. 4-5 notebooks for each subject with the amount of coherent information that could actually be squished into 1.5 or 2 notebooks.

Sense of self and space: lots of sexual tension (am I allowed to write that here??)... hahaha. No but seriously, the so called "study room" is useless, too much noise. I prefer the quiet of my own bedroom.

Communication and Language: mostly on facebook, to be perfectly honest. plenty of "fancy long words" according to my darling younger sister, who finds my manner of speech highly amusing...

Dress and appearance: jeans and tee shirts and sweaters or blouses with camis underneath. The occasional dress or skirt when my jeans are in the wash...

Food and eating habits: Forget about regular meals... Lots of tea and water and snacking on carbs and sugar. Lots of sugar.

Relationships (with peers, teachers): despise most of my class, get along better with the 11th graders... teachers is sort of a 50/50. I like my art teacher and my english teacher and my physics teacher...

Values and Norms: Um... no idea what you mean by this.

Beliefs and attitudes: The classic all life is sacred. Vegetarianism and anti violence... Other than that pretty pessimistic "we're all gonna fail".

Mental processes and learning: need discussion to get things through my head. discussion and lots of practical work... Detest lectures.

Work habits and practices; Procrastinate a lot (just like I'm doing now).

Material Cultures: Computer, Internet, Textbook, Teacher communication, highlighters, red pens, etc.

Sense of self and space: Need space to work, but not so much space you're away from your classmates.

Communication and Language: To classmates, through late night IM's, text messages, e-mails. Teachers, e-mails.

Dress and appearance: Can range from nerdy to classy to casual.

Food and eating habits: Quick snacks; late night snacks; tend to eat in solitude.

Relationships: Your best friends automatically become study buddies and whom you ask for notes when you're absent; your parents learn not to bother you when they hear the keyboard typing.

Values and Norms: Consider cheating, but never actually go through with it.

Beliefs and attitudes: 'The IB program will help me complete high school and get me in to the college I want.'

Mental processes and learning: Varies between student.

Work habits and practices: Procrastination is a key.

This topic has been closed by a moderator.

Reason: You guys, this thread is like...a year old. And it was for an assignment. I'm sure whatever it was the OP was doing, it's over now. Thread closed.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

IB Survival Staff