Struggle

Shreyashi.98

Hi, 

I am currently in term 2 of IB year 1. I am doing pretty well in all my subjects scoring 6's and 7's. However there is HL Maths which I am struggling in A LOT. My school had early entry GCSE's offers, so I had finished my maths GCSE's last year in January - 6 months earlier than the usual lot. I scored a 95% and got an A*. 

Before finalising my IB choices, I went on a college major hunt and juggled between 1. Computer Science and 2.Biochemistry. I am interested in going into medical field but with a technological approach. Hence I am still not sure which would be the ideal major especially in terms of the job market.

To make sure that I have my options open, I decided to challenge myself and take HL Maths. After having a conversation with my math teacher at that point - who did not question my decision and gave me a recommendation, I chose HL Maths.

However, now I am really struggling with it being my worst now with a score of 2's and 3's. I am perhaps not working immensely hard because there is so much to focus on, however I attempted past paper questions yet I am not getting the results I am wanting.

Switching subjects isn't an option for me, because I really want to prove myself and do well in this challenge - securing at least a 5/6. It might seem like a very unSMART target however I really want to do it. I am just not sure where exactly to start from.

The books I have teach me the "skill" however when it comes to application, I struggle.

Does anyone have any guidance for me on how I can do better? I really want to do this subject and succeed in it. I am a perfectionist and everyone in my class are doing fairly well now with 5's and 6's and it is a major breakdown for me, to see my self fail so pathetically. 

Thanks a lot for your time and help!! 

• Like 1

Before finalising my IB choices, I went on a college major hunt and juggled between 1. Computer Science and 2.Biochemistry. I am interested in going into medical field but with a technological approach. Hence I am still not sure which would be the ideal major especially in terms of the job market.

Both computer science & biochemistry are very important fields in science nowadays, so in terms of job opportunities, I think they are both pretty safe to choose. However, the difference between the 2 fields is that computer science is a very huge field, while biochem is rather specific. With computer science, you can do many things, from software engineering, to hardware production, to system administration, to cryptography, or even researching about quantum computers. On the other hand, with biochem, I think you're restricted to fewer options (such as food industry, ...). But that is also a good thing with biochem; because it's so specific, it's easier and faster to become an expert in the field; while with computer science, an undergraduate course is usually very broad, thus it would take a longer time to go deeper in the field. Taking these into considerations, I guess both are at the same level in terms of job opportunities. Hence, my advice is that you should go with the field that you like the most.

However, now I am really struggling with it being my worst now with a score of 2's and 3's. I am perhaps not working immensely hard because there is so much to focus on, however I attempted past paper questions yet I am not getting the results I am wanting. The books I have teach me the "skill" however when it comes to application, I struggle.

I personally think that a good textbook is vitally important when it comes to study IB maths. During IB, I basically tried to understand every word in my maths book; and once I did that, maths came pretty natural to me. In fact, I think there are 3 key ingredients for getting a 7:

1. Have a good textbook (from my experience, Pearson & Cambridge are both very good)

2. Have lots of passion (because passion encourages you to study & go deep down into the subject)

3. Have a good study technique (for me, a good study technique involves taking good notes & lots of practice)

So how do you improve yourself? Well, make sure that you do 3 things that I mentioned above. Also, remember to build a good solid base for your knowledge in maths. Start reading from the absolute beginning; understand all concepts before doing practice questions; do not move on to the next concept without having a good understanding of the previous ones. Finally, practice a lot! Don't ever expect to get a good solid 7s without practicing. Give yourself time to improve, because practice requires time and energy.

If you want more help, you can read through some of my advices in these following posts:

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/31424-how-to-score-better-in-maths-hl/

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/32100-how-do-i-get-better-at-math/

Feel free to ask if there're any further questions. cheers :)

• Like 4

First thank you so much for your advice! Currently our school uses the Oxford mathematics books and we are currently on Unit 6 (Stats and Probability) and we, collectively as a class have labelled the book as the worst IB Companion ever - the questions are nowhere close to even the Level 3 questions in the IB paper. Its surprising that our school has provided us with that honestly. 

I have 2 other books on my mac. I am putting the details here. Have you heard of them before? 

1. International Baccalaureate Higher Level Mathematics (Core) by Nigel Buckel and Iain Dunbar

2. Mathematics Higher Level for the IB Diploma by Bill Roberts and Sandy Mackenzie

And. Thank You once again - I have recently done a test and got my result back and it was a whole grade higher than my last test. I am trying to get my broken confidence back and going to aim for a solid 5 for my next test in february. 

In terms of my college major, if I choose Computer Science (BEng), I intend to only search a job after finishing my Masters because I think it makes my job position more secure and higher pay. I don't have much experience with the coding languages and things but I am pretty quick with the utility and learning things. I see myself more inclined towards Networks and Securities and working on softwares used by banks and business to protect their information from leaking and stuff. I think it is very superficial to say "work to produce softwares for the secret agencies" haha. But yeah that is where my interest lies in the long run. 

Meanwhile for Biochemistry, I am more inclined towards either biotechnology or Pharmacology - the thing is I don't want to work hard getting a bachelors and a masters and then working as an assistant in just a simple lab sorting chemicals. I know we all start low, but with all the education and money, I would like to start higher. I have really not found a lot of higher level job prospects in this field which is worrying me right now. I think the websites are very misleading when they mention "lab work". If you have any more information in either fields of my interest, please do advice.

Thanks a lot!! :)

I have 2 other books on my mac. I am putting the details here. Have you heard of them before? 

1. International Baccalaureate Higher Level Mathematics (Core) by Nigel Buckel and Iain Dunbar

2. Mathematics Higher Level for the IB Diploma by Bill Roberts and Sandy Mackenzie

I have used the 2nd book during my IB years. I think the book is average. They have simple & understandable explanations for most of the concepts. However, the exercises are pretty easy compared to the actual IB level. Besides, you gotta remember that this Oxford edition is for the old syllabus; therefore you shouldn't use it unless it is absolutely necessary. The first book, on the other hand, is the IBID book. I haven't used it before so I can't comment. However, I have heard so many good things about it. People say that the exercises in IBID are usually harder than the IB itself, so you'll get lots of good practice for the exams. Apart from these, I would also recommend the Cambridge book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematics-IB-Diploma-Higher-CD-ROM/dp/1107661730/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RZR3CBGYQWAJYS5TF6V , because both exercises & explanations in there are really good. And the book is so stimulating to read as well.

In terms of my college major, if I choose Computer Science (BEng), I intend to only search a job after finishing my Masters because I think it makes my job position more secure and higher pay. I don't have much experience with the coding languages and things but I am pretty quick with the utility and learning things. I see myself more inclined towards Networks and Securities and working on softwares used by banks and business to protect their information from leaking and stuff. I think it is very superficial to say "work to produce softwares for the secret agencies" haha. But yeah that is where my interest lies in the long run. 

Meanwhile for Biochemistry, I am more inclined towards either biotechnology or Pharmacology - the thing is I don't want to work hard getting a bachelors and a masters and then working as an assistant in just a simple lab sorting chemicals. I know we all start low, but with all the education and money, I would like to start higher. I have really not found a lot of higher level job prospects in this field which is worrying me right now. I think the websites are very misleading when they mention "lab work". If you have any more information in either fields of my interest, please do advice.

Well, I'm currently taking computer science in university; and it is exactly computer security that got me interested in field as well. I think this is a fascinating field, with lots of job opportunities (as security is needed everywhere) as well as research opportunities (e.g. security algorithms, or even quantum cryptography). Similarly, pharmacology is fascinating as well. Don't think of it as just involving "sorting chemicals". In this field, you are able to create new drugs to cure new diseases. My cousin is currently working in the field. She works for the government, regulating drugs coming in and out of the country (by testing the drugs in the labs). And she says that it is an amazing job. Being an assistant in a lab may seem "low" to you, but who knows? maybe one day, you'll become the head of the lab which will give you the power to run a new project.... Also, don't think of 'lab work' as something bad. Laboratory is actually at the frontier of all of science. It is where progress in science is made. Lab work can be done in actual laboratories, universities, or even funded by companies of interests. If you are interested in research, discoveries, or inventions that can push the line of science, then lab work is the way to go! In fact, I feel like the world is in need of young people getting more interested in research, because that is where true progresses are made.

However, the choice is entirely up to you. What I would suggest you to do is to forget about the money, and look at what you are truly interested in. Do you like the idea of using different theories in mathematics to develop new algorithms for computer science? Or do you prefer using knowledge in organic chemistry to develop new drugs? Passion is what that really matters. When I was small, I used to love medicine (because doctors usually earn lots of money; my mom is also a doctor herself). But once I realized how much I hated organic chemistry, my dream fell apart. Hence, don't look at the money, look at your own passion!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cambridge HL maths textbook is excellent, for each topic it labels with colours the questions for each grade level.

i.e if you can do the green questions you are on track for a level 4, blue for a level 5-6 and red for a level 7. It is really great the way it builds up.

To be honest, you are gonna have to devote a lot of work to HL maths if you want to do well, but the problem is that right now doing papers wont really help you (you gotta get the basics.)

wow we are in the same situation right now! I feel like I have given up all hope because although I improved to scoring 5s and 6s in chapter tests, I still bombed my mock exams (2 years core) and I'm feeling pretty hopeless right now D: Arghhh I'm just wondering, for the people who have been successful in HL math, did you have really structured math classes? Like did your teacher have a clear plan of what he was going to teach you for that day? Do your teachers assign homework and give you guys practice papers?

Hi, 

I am currently in term 2 of IB year 1. I am doing pretty well in all my subjects scoring 6's and 7's. However there is HL Maths which I am struggling in A LOT. My school had early entry GCSE's offers, so I had finished my maths GCSE's last year in January - 6 months earlier than the usual lot. I scored a 95% and got an A*. 

To make sure that I have my options open, I decided to challenge myself and take HL Maths. After having a conversation with my math teacher at that point - who did not question my decision and gave me a recommendation, I chose HL Maths.

However, now I am really struggling with it being my worst now with a score of 2's and 3's. I am perhaps not working immensely hard because there is so much to focus on, however I attempted past paper questions yet I am not getting the results I am wanting.

Switching subjects isn't an option for me, because I really want to prove myself and do well in this challenge - securing at least a 5/6. It might seem like a very unSMART target however I really want to do it. I am just not sure where exactly to start from.

The books I have teach me the "skill" however when it comes to application, I struggle.

Does anyone have any guidance for me on how I can do better? I really want to do this subject and succeed in it. I am a perfectionist and everyone in my class are doing fairly well now with 5's and 6's and it is a major breakdown for me, to see my self fail so pathetically. 

Thanks a lot for your time and help!! 

HL maths is a challenge but you can succeed if you keep practicing the more challenging questions and from my experience I found the cambridge hl math textbook by Paul Fannon most helpful amongst many other resources like the Oxford textbook. And Yoo I live in Hong Kong too and I happen to be doing tutoring