Nov 08 May 09, Title 6

Ether

Compare and contrast our approach to knowledge about the past with our approach to knowledge about the future.

I chosed this topic, but I didn't find any discussion in this forum about it.Did anyone choose this topic?How do you think about it?

Indeed I'm not good at TOK, even now I have no idea about this topic(cry)...I think someone who chosed it can discuss here.

In my opinion, I think we can start from history and science, history is the approach to know the past and science to know the future.But how to include any TOK elements in the essay?How about look at the way of knowing?

:P Show your opinions, no matter if you chosed this topic. Let's discuss~!

P.S. This is my first time to post here. I hope I didn't break any rules. If I did, plz tell me, I'm sorry. And my English is poor :P so maybe I make some mistakes in sentences.I hope we can enjoy the discussion~ :P

Compare and contrast our approach to knowledge of the past with our approach to knowledge about the future.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, I'm doing a TOK essay on compare and contrasting our approach to knowledge about the past and knowledge about the future. my TOK teacher said that it'd be better if I have some sort issue or topic that I can use as a "vehicle" to write this essay. any ideas on what sort of issues?anyone?

^_^

I chosed this topic, but I didn't find any discussion in this forum about it.Did anyone choose this topic?How do you think about it?

Indeed I'm not good at TOK, even now I have no idea about this topic(cry)...I think someone who chosed it can discuss here.

In my opinion, I think we can start from history and science, history is the approach to know the past and science to know the future.But how to include any TOK elements in the essay?How about look at the way of knowing?

^_^ Show your opinions, no matter if you chosed this topic. Let's discuss~!

P.S. This is my first time to post here. I hope I didn't break any rules. If I did, plz tell me, I'm sorry. And my English is poor :( so maybe I make some mistakes in sentences.I hope we can enjoy the discussion~ :P

I chose this topic too and i'm finding it hard to find a focus for it. like an issue, for example. any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Welcome Ether and Nineteenonine!

Maybe in the essay you could talk about ways of knowing in the two situations....for example experience (for the past) or instinct and belief for the future.

You could also include some personal examples, your approach to future and past in a certain situation in your life. I would say history and science are also good examples. Maybe scepticism about the future would also work :P

Good luck!

I also chose this one as my topic, since I find it quite easy actually. And I have already written 700 words, so there isn't much work left anymore. In my essay I'm going to discuss about the ways to investigate past (common history and personal past) and compare these ways with each other. Also I'll write something about how we predict future and do we in some sense determine the future by predicting it. I mean that if a professional economist predicts an economic crisis do we in a way make it happen? And what about if we predict something and then change our actions to prevent it from happening, have we made a wrong prediction, because we changed it and therefore our study for future was wrong?

It's quite difficult to explain, but still I personally think that this isn't that bad of a question.

Anyone having some knowledge issues for this question? I have started to work on mine:

How do we gain knowledge about the past/the future – what are the differences?

How does our time and culture affect our approach to history and the future?

Do we value knowledge of the past/future differently? How and why? What are the weaknesses with knowledge about past/future?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I have chosen to do question 6 but honestly, I just can't do it.

My KI is "How does our approach to the past and future affect our understanding of the present?"

My brain is just like blank and i just CANNOT relate myself to any 'contemporary situations' or those 'principal examples'.

Our school is making us fill in a plan, needing to state the KNOWLEDGE ISSUE INHERENT IN THE TITLE, CONTEMPORARY SITUATIONS, AOKS, WOKS, PRINCIPAL EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT AND PRINCIPAL EXAMPLES TO COUNTER CLAIMS...

HELP PLEASE T^T

i have no idea how to approach it...

my AoK is History and Human sciences (Psychology and Econ) and WoK is Emotion and Reason...

some 'examples' i have think of

...'david irving', 'Bradly effect', 'Marxist theory'...

I DON'T KNOW T^T

:P:)

Hey guys!

My KI is "How does our approach to the past and future affect our understanding of the present?"

My brain is just like blank and i just CANNOT relate myself to any 'contemporary situations' or those 'principal examples'.

Our school is making us fill in a plan, needing to state the KNOWLEDGE ISSUE INHERENT IN THE TITLE, CONTEMPORARY SITUATIONS, AOKS, WOKS, PRINCIPAL EXAMPLES TO SUPPORT AND PRINCIPAL EXAMPLES TO COUNTER CLAIMS...

HELP PLEASE T^T

my AoK is History and Human sciences (Psychology and Econ) and WoK is Emotion and Reason...

I DON'T KNOW T^T

:dash::)

take a certain event (e.g: moon landing) ...previously when there is no man landed on the moon, why people said it is in the future the event will happen based on the advancement in technology?..then it happen..how the scientist in the era approach the technology? and how the technology that they have used affect our understanding in the present...how we understand certain things in the event give us true knowledge in the present?and how we benefit from the knowledge?...choose any principal use in the AoK that you have chose..this is an example only..consider other event related to your AoK

I take history and natural science..and my KI is different..hope I'm not confusing you.. :lol:

Hey guys!

HELP PLEASE T^T

I DON'T KNOW T^T

:dash::)

take a certain event (e.g: moon landing) ...previously when there is no man landed on the moon, why people said it is in the future the event will happen based on the advancement in technology?..then it happen..how the scientist in the era approach the technology? and how the technology that they have used affect our understanding in the present...how we understand certain things in the event give us true knowledge in the present?and how we benefit from the knowledge?...choose any principal use in the AoK that you have chose..this is an example only..consider other event related to your AoK

I take history and natural science..and my KI is different..hope I'm not confusing you.. :lol:

:P What is the differecen between compare and contrast?!I just stop here when I was ready to conclude the eassy. I think my mind is mass now@ @Maybe too tired...

Anyway, I write something about the history and natural science respectively, and discuss the approaches to investigate them. But I think it cannot satify me because there are few self opinions. I have no ideas about how to make it unique. en...How to say, it looks like an explain for the textbook while there is no needed explain for textbook.

Anyway, I will try to make it much better.

:) Time is limited.

Edited by Ether

OK

i need help!

I've changed my KI and it's How much of our understanding of the past and the future is based around predictions, laws and trends?

Basically I plan to present the different approaches to knowledge - Truth, Context, Evidence, Methodology; how we approach it when we're looking at the past and future - what problems are present in it

And then I'll somehow conclude that past and future's similarity is they're both Provisional, and the difference would be the methodology.

i think my WoK will be reason/emotion and perception?

I can't exactly think of any good examples to present my argument...

neither do i know how to incooprerate my WoK into the essay...

HELP MEEEE

• 1 month later...

So after moving around some titles, I settled on this one. I have some ideas, but I want to know if they're similar with those of you who are doing the same question, if any.

My main point is that our approach to knowledge about the past is based on the presence of evidences. In another words, if you dont have evidencem there's nothing you can

base your approach on, in which case, you wont have an approach. The approach will be limited by the use of perception(sensing something) and by the use of reason (logic).

However, our approach to knowldge about the future doesnt require any evidence since it still didnt happen yet. We tend to use emotion(including intuition) and reason to

approach it. This means that this approch isnt pending on any evidence, as in, the approach is more open than that of the knowledge of the past.

Does this make sense to anyone?

My WOK are: reason, emotion and perception

My AoK: History and Science

Edited by mahuta

I have some ideas, but I want to know if they're similar with those of you who are doing the same question, if any.

I agree with your point. It is good in a way that you have a good reason in justifying your points. Past and future are two different things and of course we have to approach it in different ways.

knowledge of the past has happened and we need evidence to prove it

Knowledge of the future is to be discovered and we never know what is the outcome without prediction.

Since you talk about history, may be you can say;

When history is translated from one language to another, then the knower must take into account about the details that may have been lost in the translation. Fallacies is created as more times an account of the past is translated from multiple languages.

I'm not doing this topic but just giving some thought.

By the way, my AoK is the same as you. Natural Science and History. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Or just look at the way a historical fact is found/created and how can it be considered to be true. Do historical facts exist independently without us knowing them, or are they facts only after they have been discovered? How can a historical fact be certified? Is it by checking many documents to see if they correspond, or whether the historical fact fits some theory or whatever? Are historical interpretations also knowledge?

There are some rather profound questions :P Btw I'm also doing mine on this one. Turned it in last Friday for comments. Now just wait and see :D