starting IB in 2days - worried about the choices

bjornmys

ye i know its the typical new Ib-er thread but i just can't help it. i am quite worried that my choices are too hard and it will result in too much hard work which will be really hard for me to handle (which i really don't mind at this moment).i do realise that i wont be able to go out every friday and have a beer but i would like to hear from the more experienced Ibers on how they coped with the following subjects and some predictions would be nice too <3

anyway my choices are:

HIGHER
Maths
Physics
Economics

STANDARD
English A1
French B
Psychology/Biology

which actually leads to another problem, should i go for psy or bio? TBH i'm interested in psy and i wouldnt mind choosing it but if it means that combined with my highers it will result in too much work i will have to reconsider it and maybe choose bio. i dont mind taking bio but is it work-heavy and hard? or is it one of the easy subjects?

i'm sorta anxious for maths higher but i achieved an A on my gcses, think thats enough?

[quote name='bjornmys' post='23053' date='Sep 1 2008, 04:43 AM']anyway my choices are:

HIGHER
Maths
Physics
Economics

STANDARD
English A1
French B
Psychology/Biology

which actually leads to another problem, should i go for psy or bio? i dont mind taking bio but is it work-heavy and hard? or is it one of the easy subjects?

i'm sorta anxious for maths higher but i achieved an A on my gcses, think thats enough?

In my school the hardest subjects seem to be higher math and higher physics. I think for students in math higher students it is more work than hard in my school. I take Math SL and I got A in my IGCSE. I am predicted 7 so I think you are good to go for Higher math but you still need to put effort because IGCSE was kind of different and there isnt alot of overlap that will benefit. Although IGCSE gave me a good strenght in algebra allowing me to stay on top. I am not sure about Physics but I just know that it is HARD according to the rest of the people. But personally have no idea.
Biology SL is not easy but I would say easier. No idea about psycology but I know that Biology HL is one of my easier subjects except for some HL sections in it which you wont do.
But consult students from your school who are one grade above you. They will have the best information.
Best of luck with IB.

Word of warning: be prepared in the event that you decide to switch one of your HLs. Physics SL by its self is quite demanding, Physics HL with Maths HL seems like a lot of work. Maths and a Science or group 3 at HL (or in your present case), you keep your options open. Have you considered taking Chemistry? With the new syllabi it works quite well with Physics. With regards to Psy/Biol - which teacher do you prefer? What are you wanting to do at uni? What kind of learner are you?

Personally I think studying 2 science subjects at HL is hard, but maybe it's just me!
And trust me, 2 years of IBDP will p*** very quickly and it is not that long before the deadline of University application. So you must choose a suitable combination that makes your application form coherent to your desire degree and the university you are aiming for.

just wanted to thank for all the replies, they really helped. but i decided to go for biology (well only because theres a clash between economics and psychology). but i think this will be alright, im just gonna dedicate around 1-2 hours every day to maths and physics after i get back home, sometimes more, depending if thats needed 8-) i'll just try my best and i'll see where i'll wind up