NYU

ellie

Hi guys! 

I finally found something that makes me want to study everything the IB has to offer and work my ass off for a 40+ and that is going to study in NYU, either Photography and Imaging, or Film (who let me into IB, lol, huh?) Thing is, that would leave me in about $200k in debt as far as I understand. Does anyone know better or have experience? As far as I understand, they are stingy overall, plus only offer financial aid for freshman year for undergrads -- is that right?

My single dad makes less than $30k a year (by the standards of my country, he's well off, too), so there isn't much help coming from there, and I'm hesitant about contacting my long lost uncle, the Nigerian prince who's emailed me twice saying I'll get 200k if only I give him my bank details. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go to NYU and not have to retire at age 120 if I ever want to pay off my student loans?

Thank you so much!!

EDIT: OH, also -- if I apply Early Decision November 1 next year, what do I submit? Predicted grades?

Edited by ellie

One of my close friends got accepted into a couple of NYU fashion programs and was super excited, as this was her dream university in her dream location. However the cost of tuition and living there brought her back down to reality and she has now decided to turn down her acceptance and attend a local university.

Why does he want your bank details? Seems a little fishy to me... :/

Do they offer credits for completing IB? And i'm sure there are plenty of scholarships you can apply for, however 200k is really pushing it and youre better off imo getting a post secondary education of equal standard without the crazy price tag.

Whatever you decide, good luck ! :)

The Nigerian prince thing is a scam. It's been around for quite some time. DO NOT send him any of your information at all. The thieves will end up taking all of your money and other information. It's bad. Don't do it.

As the above poster said, your best bet is to look for scholarships to help bring the cost down. You can apply for as many as you'd like to, provided you meet all the requirements for it. You may also be able to be sponsored by your home country if they do such a thing. NYU is a very expensive school and is stingy with their financial aid, so as much as it'd be wonderful to study there, practicality tells you that $200,000 in debt is too much. Even if you get half of it paid for, $100,000 is too much. Not knocking your passions at all, but studying film or photography will probably not lead to a high-paying career, so having any amount of debt higher than maybe $20,000 at the most isn't very good, and will take a very long time to pay off. If you don't get most of your school paid for my scholarships, you should definitely attend another place. There are plenty of good schools for photography/film that won't cost as much. 

If you apply early decision, send in whatever grades you have. Make sure you know if early decision is binding, meaning if you get accepted, you must attend no matter what. If it's binding, and you know finances might be an issue, apply regular decision.

OH, no, guys, the Nigerian prince thing was a joke!! I know it's a scam, joking about it was very popular in my country for a while. I was just trying to make the post, um, lighter? :D

But thank you both for answers. I emailed them and found out it is still possible to get some scolarships after the first year, so I guess I'll think about it some more. If anyone else has ideas, do share, I'd be happy for any advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I would also consider whether or not you want to go to a graduate school at all...? If not, and I know that I may be the opposition here, but you can pay off the debt with work study, scholarships, and well putting your degree to good use. My dad went to Emory University, gained $200,000 in debt, and paid it off in five years. It can be done. However, how badly do you want it. NYU is stingy with their money. Heck, I'm not expecting much, but I applied anyway. I don't know how they treat international applicants, but if your income is that low, normally most schools would fork out any cash that you'd need.

Also, be careful about early decision. It could be binding.

As far as predicted grades, you don't need to send them as far as I am aware; after all, you haven't actually taken the exams, and most US Universities- at least the one's I've applied to- don't rely on teachers to give accurate predictions. Some of the schools will only accept you if you meet their requirements by the end of your senior year.

Just ask admissions, like you've already done, and you should be okay!

• 2 weeks later...

IBidiot made a really good point with applying ED. It's binding, so you might want to apply Early Action instead. You'll hear back at about the same time as ED, but you don't have to go to that university. If you're dependent on financial aid you're probably better off doing that :) 

If you do a quick Google there are lots of scholarships for overseas students, not just done by individual universities. Also, just as a heads up if a scholarship ever asks you for an application fee to be eligible they're probably a scam! 

• 1 month later...

You can consider NYU Abu Dhabi or NYU Shanghai - they offer full financial aid to international students in your situation.

However, if you receive 40+ in IB, you also have a shot at financial aid at the regular NYU in New York - as long as the rest of your application is in order too (high SAT scores, great extracurrilars)