Baller97

I'm planning to apply to the UK for biomedical sciences. My IB coordinator said that I need "experience" such as in GapMedics or else there's a slim chance I'll be accepted to any of the universities I'm applying to. Any comments? Is this really true? I live in the UAE and there aren't any opportunities to work for people under 18 years old so I don't know what to do :( Please help!

Any help is highly appreciated!

I don't really know about this but call or email the uni's you're looking at to see what their requirements are and how you can meet them?

It's not really a requirement, more like.. experience that (apparently, what my coordinator said) everybody else applying for Biomed will have...

You could try volunteering, for example: http://www.projects-abroad.org/volunteer-projects/medicine-and-healthcare/#overview . But that is going to be expensive. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other options there are. You'd have to write an amazing personal statement (are you applying to the UK btw?) and maybe explain why you don't have any work experience.

You could try volunteering, for example: http://www.projects-abroad.org/volunteer-projects/medicine-and-healthcare/#overview . But that is going to be expensive. Otherwise, I'm not sure what other options there are. You'd have to write an amazing personal statement (are you applying to the UK btw?) and maybe explain why you don't have any work experience.

Ahh it'll take alotta time too. Yeaah I'm applying to the UK! That's actually what I've been thinking of saying... that it's forbidden here, etc.

I'm planning to apply to the UK for biomedical sciences. My IB coordinator said that I need "experience" such as in GapMedics or else there's a slim chance I'll be accepted to any of the universities I'm applying to. Any comments? Is this really true? I live in the UAE and there aren't any opportunities to work for people under 18 years old so I don't know what to do :( Please help!

Any help is highly appreciated!

Any universities in particular you're looking at? 

What your coordinator is saying about experience has been also told to my school by my admissions counsellor. So i'm assuming there must be some amount of truth to it. 

However, a quick google search of some unis offering Biomedical science says otherwise: 

Imperial college London: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/biomedicalscience/entryrequirements

Oxford: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/biomedical-sciences

From my experience of the UCAS application process, universities generally state what they want to see. There's no "hidden meaning" behind what they want. Since these websites don't quite mention anything about work experience, I'm forced to think it's less of a requirement than something you can use to show your passion and motivation for your subject through. I'd imagine this would be advantageous in your personal statement. 

Since you say you can't get work experience, it might be worth demonstrating your interest in the subject through some other way. Perhaps you could discuss some biology or chemistry experiments you undertook by yourself (nothing to do with the IB), consulting your teachers. You should discuss what you learnt from these experiments. Not just the results, but more about the process of experimenting, about the subject, etc. It would be great if your teachers mentioned it in your reference too! It's also important that you state in your PS why you were unable to get work experience, although this might be better mentioned by your teacher, who's reference I think universities take more seriously than personal statements :P

• Like 2

Yeah it's not really a requirement so don't over-stress about it. Some unis say that they look at any experience but in your situation it's not like you're plain lazy or unmotivated. And they would see where you are coming from so they might understand that it wasn't easy for you to find these opportunities. Definitely explain it in your PS though, not as an excuse but as a 'contemplation' that you wish you could have had more chances to get experience in ur community. 

Edited by supersonic