HISTORY IA TOPIC

Dasani

Yes, and they LOVE original thinking and initiative, so try not to just follow the herd and double-thinking what the IB wants to hear, but phrase your research question so that it shows what YOU want to investigate.

Do your teachers not give you a list of prompt questions? "To what extent..." is just one and I don't doubt it starts to grate when more and more papers are phrased in this standard way. 

• Like 1

An original topic indeed :D but you also have to think that you need 8-10 "academical" sources (history books, articles, etc) and two of them must be analised in depth, so my recommendation is that you investigate first and then decide if that is definetly the topic that you want for your historical investigation, choosing the topic is usually the hardest part of the history IA so don't panic if you don't find an appropriate topic at once, it took me a couple of weeks until I found a topic that satisfied me, good luck!! 

I understand that. When I say original, I don't mind doing something that's already been done. I actually prefer that. Just not something that's been done by MANY people. My class actually has a trip to a university library next week to further research our IA topics and I don't know what to do yet.

And thank you!  :)

Edited by IbTrojan

That sounds like a really interesting topic, for our history IA my class found this website really helpful. It has topic narrowing stuff, formulating a question, work with sources and sample IAs that got 7s. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me!

http://www.activehistory.co.uk/ib-history/ib-history-internal-assessment.php 

I came up with a few possible topics with questions that I would be interested in doing my IA on. Any ideas on what I should choose? Or any changes I should make?

1) To what extent was the Soviet Five Year Plan successful?

2a) To what extent was the 1968 Tet Offensive a key military strategy for the People's Army of Vietnam?

2b) To what extent was the 1968 Tet Offensive successful to the People's Army of Vietnam?

3) Assess the roles of both, media and propaganda, during [WWI OR WWII]

4) To what extent did economic resources prove to be vital in [WWI OR WWII]?

5a) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

5b) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in American-Cuban relations from 1960-1963.

5c) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Thank you!

Edited by IbTrojan

• 2 weeks later...

So i'm leaning towards doing my research on the gay community, i.e. Harvey Milk and his gay campaign.... or something else like the history of music or art. I just don't know how to put it in a question.

I supervised a student last year who wrote an essay on this topic. She made an overall assessment of Milk's contribution (as opposed to those of other activists) to the failure of a particular anti-gay law. I think the question was "To what extent did Harvey Milk contribute to the failure of California Proposition 6 in November 1978?"

I came up with a few possible topics with questions that I would be interested in doing my IA on. Any ideas on what I should choose? Or any changes I should make?

1) To what extent was the Soviet Five Year Plan successful?

2a) To what extent was the 1968 Tet Offensive a key military strategy for the People's Army of Vietnam?

2b) To what extent was the 1968 Tet Offensive successful to the People's Army of Vietnam?

3) Assess the roles of both, media and propaganda, during [WWI OR WWII]

4) To what extent did economic resources prove to be vital in [WWI OR WWII]?

5a) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

5b) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in American-Cuban relations from 1960-1963.

5c) Examine the significance of Fidel Castro's role in the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Thank you!

I really like question 2b, especially as you can give a very nuanced answer (it was a tactical failure but a strategic success).