Economics with Math Sl, where?

dannym

Hello Dear IBSurvival users :)

I have a question to you considering kind of popular topic - is it possible to study Economics after having taken Math SL? If yes, what universities would you recommend? I am now just starting my IB course and I wonder if switching to HL would be a good idea, however I am not so good at Math, but my teacher told me I could easilly achieve 6 in SL or even struggle to score 7 in the final year of IB with some effort.

In case you need my subcjects, for now it looks like this:

English HL

History HL

Geography HL

Polish (my national language) SL
Math SL (?)

Chemistry SL

I should also mention that in my school there is no such possibility to take Economics/Buisness or whatsoever... :(

So, will you help me, please?

Edited by dannym
  • Like 1

all the good universities in the UK i know, require you to have HL since economics tends to be quite mathy from what i heard. If you are not confident in math and do not have the time to invest into it, I would not recommend it, especially talking from experience ( 2 students in my class aren't that confident and one is basically failing but the other is getting like 70-85% in school exams)
It really depends how much time you have and how willing you are to give that time up to do math revision. I'm entering my second year right now, and it's really not a subject to be taken lightly.

BUT basically everyone can make it, when they have dedication, determination, and loads and loads of practice

I hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for the answear :D I am fully aware of the fact that top unis require Math HL, but also I have heard that for example Durham doesn't require Math HL and they still have decent economics courses, I also do not count on getting to the strict economics course but something related with economics like economics&politics as I have heard those one are more convenient if it comes to te entry reqirements. So, would somebody be so kind and suggest some unis that do not require Math HL when it comes to the economics coures but are still quite decent? And also how about Manchester Uni and that one I mentioned in the post above - Durham. Does somebody know about their economics courses? Thanks for the answears!

• 3 months later...