IB Visual Art SL

Psych97

I'm a new student to the IB programme and I'm trying to take the DP programme, as one of my subjects of SL, I'm trying to take the visual art, but my senior friend who graduated told me it is going to be a hard subject to score as one of my DP subjects because of its subjective marking schemes and the difficulty of managing time. I'm also taking up Math, Physics, English B HL and Korean,Ess and Visual art as SL.Am I going to have difficulties or is it going to be fun as the subject Visual arts always seemed like and end me up with a appreciatable score of minimum 6 as my teacher says?

• Like 1

It's not hard to manage your time if you find a system that works for you. Sounds like your friend is the one with time management problems!

Art is subjective, but there are certain things you can do that help boost your chances of scoring well. These include things like not exploring super cliched ideas (being original), exploring new media, doing proper investigations, developing high-level techniques in your work, and pulling from a lot of artists and styles to make your own unique body of work. Regardless of whether you focus more on the artwork or the workbook, have both of them be strong pieces because both are important.

I never had a problem balancing visual arts with my other subjects, and I had to do the entire course in one year.

I do kind of agree with your friend regarding the fact that Art is indeed very subjective. I myself took Visual Arts HL and was quite disappointed with my results, however, it also depends on the amount of effort and time you put into it. 

Personally, I suggest you to take any other subject which will be useful to you in University. I always loved art, and put a lot of effort and time into it and it was my lowest score. I took the subject mainly because I wasn't offered any other subject that would be useful for me and my future career.

However it's really up to you. I do strongly suggest you to assess whether Visual Arts would be useful to you at all. Liking/loving arts is a very justifiable reason as well though. 

• Like 1

One of my classmates in IB Visual Arts who was the only HL student with me wanted to either study architecture or engineering in Uni, and I believe it is useful for Architecture courses, specially if you chose architecture or a related theme for your artwork. However I suggest you to look at your University requirement, for some Universities it might be useful while for some others it might not.

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting this out there; all the students in my year who're studying archi this fall either did IB VA (normally coupled with IB Physics) or IB DT, so if VA doesn't fit, perhaps you could look into DT?

Also yes, quite subjective, but IB VA is also a lot about your progression in work quality from the beginning of your portfolio vs the end of your portfolio! It's a really fun subject and it does show you have breadth if you don't have any other specific subject you would rather do/need. :)

Best of luck!!!