Applying AFTER IB scores are released? (during gap year)

vontro

Hey, I am a 16 year old (turning 17). I skipped 9th and 10th grade. I've  just graduated and got 40/45 on the IB. I'm taking a gap year now and will be taking SATs (so far I have an 800 on Math 2) and applying throughout the gap year.

As a result, I will be applying to US universities with my IB score in hand, as opposed to with a predicted score. I want to get in to universities such as Harvard or MIT.

How do universities value actual IB scores in comparison with predicted scores? Also, how much, if at all, will the fact that I did the IB at a younger age contribute to my applications? 

Do you think I have a good chance getting into such universities?

I'm not 100%, but I think universities will not mind that you send in hard scores, in fact it may seem better simply because its the actual score. I know you can get university credit if you send the actual results and they are good.

I also think that universities will like you skipping grades, it means you are gifted!

I would assume someone as gifted as yourself could get into those universities with good essays, EC's and SATs.

I'm not a fortune teller but it's pretty obvious you have a bright future ahead! Good luck! 

• Like 2

I have generally been told (along with some of my own inferences) that IB/AP final scores are not a significant part of applications. When I ask admission officers, they always say with great ambiguity that it's certainly better to have them (IB/AP scores), but there are no penalties for not having IB/AP either. 

What they do look for, is something that is a little bit more standardized like grades, essays (on a particular prompt), test scores, and perhaps exceptional ECs. 

I'm not sure if younger age will qualify as a hook. I don't think there will be an advantage because the admission officers will have a hard time figuring out if you graduated early or not. However, I've heard that US schools do not look at Gap years unfavourably (most people just go to community college and transfer) unless you have a very good reason to back it up.